• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dfcs has my kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lds82465

What is the name of your state? Ga.

I have 3 sons 7,13,15. The 13 and 15 live with me and I have sole custody of them and my ex wife (on good terms) gets them when ever she wants. They have lived with me for 10 yrs and alone with me for the last 3. Dfcs has taking them away and my ex wife has them now, because instead of spanking them or taking something away I punched them in the arm and left a bruise. I know that I crossed the line now, but they are big boys and they messed up and got punished and I messed up. Now how can and what can I do to make ammends and get dfcs off my back and keep my 13 and 15 yr old and still be with my 7 yr old? Please help and advise, time is running out with my 7 yr old because his mom is moving to Wyoming after school lets out.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well... the kids messed up and you punished them. Why are you surprised that when you messed up (as you admitted), DCFS punished you? You hit your kids hard enough to leave a bruise. That's just not acceptable. I really wouldn't expect to regain custody.

onebreath

Father,
There is no excuse. You are an adult. They are children. They may be big boys (as in, oh they can take it?!), but no...they are big children. Hands off.

That you are more concerned with getting DFCS to lay off you, so to speak, vs feeling badly for hurting your children, says a lot about your chances of getting the kids back.

And I have to ask, how to you punch a "them"? You talk about a bruise...but mention both boys...so you are hitting both boys...you need, on your own, to get counseling for your anger and help with parenting skills to learn how to appropriately discipline YOURSELF around your children. Thats the deal. Take it or leave it, but if you want your kids to grow up with self esteem and respect, you will take it. Work on yourself first.

Raising your children with violence only ensures future violence.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Does the ex have custody OR placement? If placement, work your case plan. Complete it fully. Petition the court for your children to be returned.

lds82465

in reply

the few responses are hard, cold and true. I will take whatever council I get from dfcs or y'all. Maybe I need to not do unto others as I was done to at their age. As far as dfcs is concerned, they got involved 9 days ago. Thus far my only contact has been to go to the office and sign a child safety form stating I will not see the kids un-supervised, I will help with anything the child needs ie. food ect. I called to check on the status and the case worker said they were waiting on law enforcement to respond. I have not been contacted and have been waiting on some form of action. Legally I have no idea where I am at this point. However my ex wife, again who has come up from another city and is staying at my house to watch our kids as well as one thats not until school is out, said the case worker had told her to file and go ahead and take custody. Folks, I know I messed up and I guess I may have mis-worded my intent. I just want to know what to expect through the system to get back on the RIGHT path and not to just get dfcs off my back.
Thanks

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It would be a good idea for you to enroll yourself in an Anger Management class as well as a Parenting class - rather than wait for the court to order it. Assuming, of course, that you actually are interested in changing your parenting/discipline style.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">