• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't know where else to post this...traveling with unrelated minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjay

What is the name of your state? Maryland

We're going on vacation in a few weeks and are taking my 10 year old stepsister along. Legally, what do I need in order to travel with her (we're flying) and to obtain medical treatment if necessary? Thanks.

K

krispenstpeter

Who is the 'WE' you're talking about. Is the child's mother going also? And, is this out of the country?

enjay

My husband, son, and I are going to Disney World. We are taking my father's stepdaughter (my stepsister) with us. Her mother will not be traveling with us.

K

krispenstpeter

Then to have any legal rights in the case of anything requiring medical treatment outside of scrapes and bruises, you'll need a poa for the child. Most hospitals and/or doctors will ONLY treat in the case of life-threatening emergency without a parent or guardian approval.

Tell the parent that you will need a limited power of attorney for medical treatment. It covers you and the parent in the event of something bad happening.

tcpmp

I’m in a similar situation, my wife is taking my son to go see his mother and they are flying. I called the airlines and they said the only thing that she needed to travel with him was either a birth cert, immune record or vaild ID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">