• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Difference between custody & guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbie1165

What is the name of your state? California
I have guardianship of my grandson. His father will be released from prison next year. He was very abusiveto my grandson, but I was afraid of him and didn't report it. I think I need to get something (custody?) to protect my grandson (8) from his father when he is released. Are there any suggestions? Thanks, Barb

casa

What is the name of your state? California
I have guardianship of my grandson. His father will be released from prison next year. He was very abusiveto my grandson, but I was afraid of him and didn't report it. I think I need to get something (custody?) to protect my grandson (8) from his father when he is released. Are there any suggestions? Thanks, Barb
We need more information. How did you receive guardianship? Through the courts? Were any govt. agencies involved, ie; CPS? Where is the child's Mother?

barbie1165

I did the guardianship by myself through the courts. My daughter signed off my grandson to me (she's willing to let me adopt him) and my son-in-law is in prison so the courts gave my grandson to me. CPS was falsely called on me, the worker involved told the court that I should have guardianship. A state appointed Psychiatrist (when I was seeking information about getting SSI for my grandson) told me to fight as hard as I could to keep my grandson and protect him from his parents because of the damage they'd done to them. He is still under psychiatric care. Any suggestions? Am I allowed to give you my phone number? Barb

LdiJ

You don't need to go to court at this point if you have legal guardianship. It would be up to dad to take it to court if he wanted to overturn the guardianship. I don't believe that having custody vs guardianship would make your position any stronger than it already is.

However, get a consult with a local attorney.

casa

You don't need to go to court at this point if you have legal guardianship. It would be up to dad to take it to court if he wanted to overturn the guardianship. I don't believe that having custody vs guardianship would make your position any stronger than it already is.

However, get a consult with a local attorney.
I agree completely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">