• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

difference between primary custody and physical custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

derrenbowling

What is the name of your state? california

me and my ex split up almost 2 years ago and the original paperwork stated that we had joint custody and had the children 50/50. but now at his request we had a modification done and the courts realized that i actually have them 80% of the time and have primary custody. i was just wondering if there is a difference between primary custody and joint physical custody??????

Grace_Adler

Joint legal- you share in the decision making.

Joint physical or split custody- the children alternate between residences.

Primary physical, sole physical, primary residence- the child resides with one parent full time, excluding visitation.

Sole custody- the child resides with one parent full time, excluding visitation and the parent with whom the child resides makes all the decisions regarding the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">