• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability & child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

christ's child

I live in Missouri and my husband is disabled. He has not won his disability case & is on probation for felony non-support. He has two boy's and I have to pay the $465 a month because I am the only one working. I haven't got my child support for my own three children in four months and can't pay my basic bills anymore. Can I get the child support lowered without a lawyer or even stop paying it until the disability comes through? Thank You for your time & help.

Whyte Noise

You might take this the wrong way, and if you do, I'm sorry.

You don't "have" to pay his child support at all. It's not "your" obligation. The court ordered "him" to pay it, not you. They aren't your children and in no way, shape, or form are they your legal responsibility.

You can't get the amount lowered. Only he can. It's his CS case, and he has to be the one to file a modification. Yes, it can be done without a lawyer, although I always advise to get one if you can. If not.... is his case through CSE here? If the current court ordered amount and the amount he'd have to pay in a new Form 14 differ by 20% or more, CSE itself can do the modification, it doesn't have to go in front of a judge. I'm not sure if CSE can stop CS payments altogether or if that has to go through a court. You can always call Jeff City and ask them though.

I understand that you're paying it for him because he's on probation, and I imagine part of that probation is to be current every month. But, there is nothing that YOU can do about this. He is the one that has to file for any modification since it's his court ordered CS and not yours. If his disability keeps him from writing or talking then perhaps you could help him out and be a representative.... but you can't just petition the court or CSE yourself because it's not your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">