• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery. Before or after temporary custody hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

romance1600

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

A p/l (temporary visitation) hearing has been set in my case. Deadlines for discovery have been set as well, with the deadlines being set for about two months AFTER the currently scheduled P/L hearing.

Can I/should I depose the ex before the P/L hearing?

romance1600

Thanks for the quick response.

But would it be more advantageous to depose before the P/L hearing if possible? Or should I just wait until afterwards.

romance1600

Had the scheduling conference on Friday. Date for P/L is March 31. havent even begun discovery (working on my interrogatories now) yet. Wondering if I need to speed it up a bit to have the ex deposed before March 31

truebluemd

Its not necessary for a PL. PL is only for establishing temp custody, temp visitation, and temp child support and that would be based on the current disposition of the child and parent. The judge or master will only ask a few questions and it only takes less than an hour (mine took about 30 min i think). If the writ tells you to bring financial info, you must bring it.

what are you trying to argue at a PL hearing anyway?

You have to file the discovery/interrogetories 30 days prior to hearing and the other party would have 30 days to respond. Your trial date will be set at the PL hearing which would be about 3-4 months after the PL hearing.

romance1600

Good info. That pretty much answers it. So save Discovery for after the P/L hearing.

I was thinking that I would need to argue the same issues at the P/L hearing as at the actual trial. sounds like the P/L process is very different.
Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">