• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce with kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emsly

So? The children's FATHER is in Florida. That is what matters. You don't get to just up and move. Why do you think your wants are more important than dad's?
Of course I wouldn't leave without his permission. There are so many other reasons for leaving than just me... the schools here are terrible and I haven't been able to get a job here. I have many connections in LA and the schools are amazing and it's not significantly far away and I plan to be there for a long time. I don't want to keep moving the kids every couple years... you have no idea about the details so I don't know why you're jumping all over me. 😊 I want what's best for everybody obviously one of us is going to have to compromise and unfortunately I have always been the one to compromise.

Emsly

Your kids have family where they are.

Ohiogal wasn't hostile. Believe me ;)
I agree they do have family here and the whole situation is unfortunate. So as long as I have permission from him to go 3 hrs away it would be okay? But would the court order me to move back if he changed his mind? Does the permission have to be written ? Notarized?

LdiJ

I agree they do have family here and the whole situation is unfortunate. So as long as I have permission from him to go 3 hrs away it would be okay? But would the court order me to move back if he changed his mind? Does the permission have to be written ? Notarized?
It would be helpful if it was written. It would be even more helpful if it was notarized (so that he could not muddy the waters by claiming it wasn't his signature) however neither are absolutely necessary...unless he is the type who would change his mind and then lie and say that he never gave permission.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
So... Just to clarify
* Mom, Dad and kids are in FL for 5 months.
* Previously lived in Idaho for 2 years.
* Mom wants to relocate out of state with the kids.
* Dad suggested Utah, because although it's far away from FL, Dad has family there as well as Mom.
* Mom wants to relocate to Louisiana, for better job opportunities and schools, as well as closer to FL than Utah.

Don't shoot the messenger - *I* wouldn't relocate to Louisiana for the quality of their K-12 schools. I'm just trying to wrap my head around that.

If Mom wants to move out of state with the kids, I would suggest that if Dad is okay with one state over another, then she consider that option.

SMH... Louisiana for the "better schools".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm not sure why you are getting hostile. I was simply asking if the court could rule in the case even though it is not their home state. I read a lot about home state and they have to be somewhere for 6 months. In order for it to be considered home state. Of course I don't want to take them away from their dad. Louisiana is close enough where they can see him often and I can drive them there if I need to. It's only 3 hrs away opposed to his original suggestion of Utah because we have family there.
Leave them with dad and you drive from Louisiana because if it is fair for dad to do it, then it is fair for you to do it. And I wasn't hostile. You read a lot about home state? I studied and the Supreme Court of Ohio determines I KNOW IT. Care to argue some more? You don't know the law nor understand it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">