• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced with 50/50 placement, my boyfriend tried to commit suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelainwi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex and I have 2 children ages 5 and 7. I have had a live in boyfriend, he has a live in girlfriend. My live in boyfriend went through a recent bout of bad depression and tried to commit suicide. Now my ex is saying he does not want my boyfriend around the children. Knowing my ex he would probably try to go to court to get 100% custody if I do not agree. My boyfriend is being treated and has been put on anti-depressant medication. He is doing better every day and would never hurt the children, he loves them. What are my rights in this situation?

Hisbabygirl77

My ex and I have 2 children ages 5 and 7. I have had a live in boyfriend, he has a live in girlfriend. My live in boyfriend went through a recent bout of bad depression and tried to commit suicide. Now my ex is saying he does not want my boyfriend around the children. Knowing my ex he would probably try to go to court to get 100% custody if I do not agree. My boyfriend is being treated and has been put on anti-depressant medication. He is doing better every day and would never hurt the children, he loves them. What are my rights in this situation?
Where did he try and commit suicide? Was it in the home the children live in? Honestly, it doesnt look good. You have a mentally unstable person living with your children. If I were the dad I would be concerned too.

Antigone*

You and the father of the children have the right to do everything in your power to protect your children. Apparently dad is willing to do so, you are not.

Isis1

you have the right to protect your (plural) children. same as dad has the right to protect your (plural) children. asnd that means keeping them away from someone who is self destructive. if dad was suicidal, you'd be on here asking how to restrict his visits or have them supervised.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
He is doing better every day and would never hurt the children, he loves them.
You are not making the well-being of your children a priority if you refuse to accept the possibility that a mentally ill person might harm them. I'm not saying he will, but you certainly can't say he never would.

Forewarned is forearmed, so be prepared for the father to use your unwillingness to believe there is any cause for concern against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">