• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do absent fathers get rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Julie Dominique

What is the name of your state?Idaho Does anyone have any experience in this? Father has been out of the picture for 8 years and he doesnt know our 3 children. Can he be awarded visitation? More importantly, what would this do to the children psychologically?

seniorjudge

Julie Dominique said:
What is the name of your state?Idaho Does anyone have any experience in this? Father has been out of the picture for 8 years and he doesnt know our 3 children. Can he be awarded visitation? More importantly, what would this do to the children psychologically?
He may be allowed visitation but he will probably have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it.

Psychologically, children need both parents.

shari36

The absent parent still has rights no matter how long they have been gone from the children. At least that is what I was told here.. I would ask for supervised(a get to know type arrangement) in the begining. I for one did not do this and it was very hard on my son. His father was gone for nine years.Although I did retain sole legal and sole physical. absent parent got a little visitation. My son is still very angry about the sudden interest and really at this point does not like his biological father.. Counciling is a very good start it will give your child/children someone to help work through some of the feelings they will more than likely experience.. Even though absent parents who finally want to get to know there children cause alot of trauma, they say in some cases it will benifit the kids. I personaly have yet to see the joy in it all but am staying positive so my son will hopefully adjust to and have some kind of relationship with the other parent.
Good luck to you
Shari

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">