• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do BM's get a break on Child Support and what if they won't work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MO
I have another couple questions about child support. DH and I are thinking about taking BM to court for child support. When custody was granted to hubby & I (yes I am written into the order) there was nothing decided on child support.
First Part: Are judges easier on BM's when it comes to setting child support? Would they require her to pay part of the insurance or medical?
Second Part: Based on the online calculators because BM is not currently working we would only be awarded $50 a month. That is hardly worth the trouble. BM is choosing not to work and living with a new boyfriend who is paying for everything. Is it overlooked if BM chooses not to work at the right times to affect the amount support is set to? Or can they set support to a minimum of what she is capable of making(even if it's minimum wage or something like that)?
Thanks for any feedback!

BL

Is it overlooked if BM chooses not to work at the right times to affect the amount support is set to? [ quote ]

Is there a right time ?

The standards are set , along with Fed. Standards.

As far as I know if one has never established a higher Child Support Payment due to Employment, and has no degree to seek the same level of Employment, the Courts will rule on the Guidelines as they are set.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Please stop referring to them as "BM". That acronym conjures up something else. How about using "Bio-Mom" or "Birth Mother"?

IAAL
Or how about simply Mom and Dad?

Sorry IAAL. That's probably not the best abreviation to use. LOL I promise never to use it again.
And yes as we see it there is a right time. We think part of the reason bio-mom quit her job because she thinks we are going to file for child support. What do you do if the NCP quits their job before child support is set in order to pay the minimum $50 a month and then goes back to work. I know I've heard people say to take it back for modification. However if NCP continuously changes job to avoid paying a higher amount of support what can you do. Is there not a way to protect against this?

M

monnickasmommy

minimum wage I would fight for she is able to get off her duff and work like the rest of us !! I do a side job for xtra $$ for things I want because my hubby pays cs with no problem each month , women that think they can sit on ther duff and do squat need to be sqashed like a bug lol :D :D

nextwife

Betcha if it was a guy they'd imput his income on the basis of his earning ability, and what a person with his training, background and education SHOULD be able to earn in that job market. Has she ever worked? Does she have any job skills? Any post secondary education?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">