• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pick up my kids if my ex moved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smp1895

What are my options with dealing with a rude and obnoxious new husband? I have primary custody of my two little girls ages 6 and 7. My ex gets them every other weekend . Our parenting plan clearly states that if any parent moves more than 100 miles they are to notify the other parent by certified mail. My ex-wife simply moved away one day with no warning. She now lives two and a half hours away. The parenting plan States the mother has to pick them up at my Residence at 6 and the father picks them up from her residence at 6 on Sunday. This was drafted before she moved more than a hundred miles away. My question is should I be responsible for driving that distance even though she moved outside the agreed-on parenting plan?

Smp1895

And do I have to deal with my exes new husband? He is always rude towards me. He always accompanies my ex to pick up the children. My ex wife gets the children every other weekend if there is any changes they want me to make on the weekend about pickup times he doesn't ask me he "tells me" . I mean he literally says "I'm not asking you I'm telling you." He usually waits until the kids are in the car before acting like this. Tonight, however, he told me that I was going to meet them instead of them dropping them off Sunday. I told him I was not going to do that and if they refuse to bring the kids home they weren't going to leave with him. I told the children to go back inside the house and I was walking with them and he stood in front of the door and said I'm blocking you. I've been dealing with this for close to two years now what are my legal options?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And do I have to deal with my exes new husband? He is always rude towards me. He always accompanies my ex to pick up the children. My ex wife gets the children every other weekend if there is any changes they want me to make on the weekend about pickup times he doesn't ask me he "tells me" . I mean he literally says "I'm not asking you I'm telling you." He usually waits until the kids are in the car before acting like this. Tonight, however, he told me that I was going to meet them instead of them dropping them off Sunday. I told him I was not going to do that and if they refuse to bring the kids home they weren't going to leave with him. I told the children to go back inside the house and I was walking with them and he stood in front of the door and said I'm blocking you. I've been dealing with this for close to two years now what are my legal options?
You need to follow the court order and pick the children up at your ex's house. This is not rocket science. And you don't get deprive mom her time just because....

Smp1895

You are absolutely right this is not rocket science. But it does seem like you're in a bad mood. So you're saying she could move five to six hours away and I would have to drive the 5 to 6 hours to pick my kids up and she doesn't even have to tell me if she moves? That's your legal advice? There should be no repercussions whatsoever so she can move wherever she wants ? What world do you live in?

LdiJ

You take it back to court and ask the judge to order mom to provide all of the transportation since she created the distance. In the meantime, you pick up the children at mom's house.

You might also consider asking the judge to order that her new husband has to stay in the car and refrain from involving himself in exchanges.

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

She's saying you have to follow the court order. If you want changes, you'll have to head back to court.

How long ago did she move?

Smp1895

We signed the parenting plan in March of 2014. About one month later she texted me saying she had a job interview for me to pick up the kids from school and she never came back. About a month after that she wanted to have contact with the kids again. I have never stood in her way of being with the children. She made the decision to move almost 200 miles away. I was the one who filed for divorce I was the one who caught her cheating and writing checks in my name. She has never paid 1 penny of Child Support. The parenting plan states that she is not to move more than 100 miles and she did.

Proserpina

You are absolutely right this is not rocket science. But it does seem like you're in a bad mood. So you're saying she could move five to six hours away and I would have to drive the 5 to 6 hours to pick my kids up and she doesn't even have to tell me if she moves? That's your legal advice? There should be no repercussions whatsoever so she can move wherever she wants ? What world do you live in?
Please show me where OG said that.

I'll wait.

Smp1895

That is some very good advice thank you very much. I actually just retained an attorney I see no other way then for this to go in front of a judge.

Proserpina

We signed the parenting plan in March of 2014. About one month later she texted me saying she had a job interview for me to pick up the kids from school and she never came back. About a month after that she wanted to have contact with the kids again. I have never stood in her way of being with the children. She made the decision to move almost 200 miles away. I was the one who filed for divorce I was the one who caught her cheating and writing checks in my name. She has never paid 1 penny of Child Support. The parenting plan states that she is not to move more than 100 miles and she did.
I guarantee that your parenting plan does NOT say that.

Smp1895

Let me rephrase that I apologize the parenting plan says if one parent wants to move more than a hundred miles away they are too send a certified letter to the other parent and if the other parent has an issue with it then it can be handled in court

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">