• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have right to take my kid from grandma?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prhea

What is the name of your state? Montana My ex is named as residential custodian in parenting plan, filed in WA. By mutual consent, my son has lived with me in MT for the past two years. She informed me while he was visiting her this summer that he will now be residing with his grandmother this year--my mother--here in Montana. I oppose this arrangement for many reasons and notified my ex in writing of my objection. She did not file a petition for change of residency, but did fly my son out here without notifying me. My mother picked him up from the airport, took him to her house, and has enrolled him in the same school he attended the past two years, but listed herself as his guardian. DO I HAVE A RIGHT TO JUST GO AND TAKE HIM FROM HER HOME?? Or do I need some kind of court order?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Go pick up your son, file in MONTANA for domestication of the Washington order then for FULL LEGAL CUSTODY including support from the mother.

prhea

Current custody order

(Still Montana) The current custody order says the child will live with his mother in WA during school year, with me every summer, spring break, and every other Christmas. The grandmother is not mentioned anywhere in the order.

BelizeBreeze

prhea said:
(Still Montana) The current custody order says the child will live with his mother in WA during school year, with me every summer, spring break, and every other Christmas. The grandmother is not mentioned anywhere in the order.
Do I have to repeat myself?

prhea

(MT) I was actually responding to the first reply I received (thread #2) However, since you seem so certain that it's that easy, let me ask this: Will my ex have grounds to file a "No Contact" order, or attempt any other action against me in the meantime, for not complying with her "decision"?

djohnson

Your ex, who has legal custody, has effectively abandoned your child in the care of a grandparent with plans on returning to pick said child up. This isn't a babysitter type action. You have more rights to your child than any grandparent.

BelizeBreeze

prhea said:
(MT) I was actually responding to the first reply I received (thread #2) However, since you seem so certain that it's that easy, let me ask this: Will my ex have grounds to file a "No Contact" order, or attempt any other action against me in the meantime, for not complying with her "decision"?
Screw the ex. That's why my advice was constructed exactly the way it was. You file for domestication of the order, emergency LEGAL custody and then for full legal custody and support.

And get YOUR child. PERIOD!

jelly

if understand correctly, your ex doesnt want to take care of her kid, but she doesnt want you to, either? if the grandma is nowhere listed in the agreement, and they have not pursued anything formal thorugh the courts, grandma has no legal way to keep him.. You can go pick him up from school with your agreement in hand, in case the school asks for one. And you can- and should- file report with the police against his mother and your mother.. caution.. the longer you wait the worse it looks on you..

BelizeBreeze

jelly said:
if understand correctly, your ex doesnt want to take care of her kid, but she doesnt want you to, either? if the grandma is nowhere listed in the agreement, and they have not pursued anything formal thorugh the courts, grandma has no legal way to keep him.. You can go pick him up from school with your agreement in hand, in case the school asks for one. And you can- and should- file report with the police against his mother and your mother.. caution.. the longer you wait the worse it looks on you..
The police have nothing to do with this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">