• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have rights to my own children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mostly I needed my mothers help with childcare so I could work.
But... you said you're on disability, so it would seem you don't work. You're an apprentice at yoga something. So.... I guess I'm not understanding how you earn money.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It sounds to me like OP is looking to do things as legally as possible. However, I do find it ironic that the comment I commented on is posted by someone who turns to her own family for help with childcare.

Tad hypocritical, IMO.
However - did she move half the country away w/o making sure to do so properly?

SWFLmommy

All things said are relevant. Yes I was charged with misdameanor negligent child care nearly 10 years ago and yes i have been in therapy ever since. No, a judge wont forget that and it will always reflect on me. Thats why I included it in OP because it is relevant.

yes I should have established custody prior to leaving or gotten the courts permission. Ignorance to the law is no excuse but it is a fact.

Now here are some other facts:

Even when a paternity acknowledgement has been signed and the fathers name is on the birth certificate, paternity must be legally established prior to custody hearing.

Judges don't like making snap interstate rulings such as emergency returns. Judges are most likely to encourage a father to petition for custody.

Jerking an autistic child out of a necesarry specialized program that home state does not offer may not be an issue when it comes to a temporary emergency injunction; but it sure will when it comes to establishing permanent custody.

Sometimes when a fathers unstable mental state and chemical addiction poses an immediate threat, a mother does what she has to do and gets her kids out of a bad situation asap. Unfortunately they dont give protection orders to save you from a drunk unless he hits you. verbal, mental and emotional abuse just dont cut it.

And, the money that the bank gives me when I cash my disability check spends just like all other money. There are mothers who raise a family on disability all over the country and get by just fine.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And, the money that the bank gives me when I cash my disability check spends just like all other money. There are mothers who raise a family on disability all over the country and get by just fine.
But that is NOT what you said. You said that you moved to FL so Mom could help you with childcare so you could work. You are not working - are you? So that argument is moot.

Sometimes when a fathers unstable mental state and chemical addiction poses an immediate threat, a mother does what she has to do and gets her kids out of a bad situation asap. Unfortunately they dont give protection orders to save you from a drunk unless he hits you. verbal, mental and emotional abuse just dont cut it.
Did you try to get an Order of Protection? I don't know where the underlined comes from but Nebraska even has 2 types of Orders of Protection - 1 of which appears to very much cover those types of areas.

SWFLmommy

Did you try to get an Order of Protection? I don't know where the underlined comes from but Nebraska even has 2 types of Orders of Protection - 1 of which appears to very much cover those types of areas.
It is something that would be very much worth looking into through YWCA or Catholic Charities as I do believe my ex to be highly unstable and a threat to me and my children even if he didnt physically beat me.

SWFLmommy

Well... that supports the children. :confused:
? No unpaid on the job training is like an internship. Hours that must be completed prior to becoming certified to instruct which.
Kind of like nursing, you have to do a lot of work for free to gain experience and knowledge. My children are supported by my SSI which as I stated, spends just like all other money.

formerNCM

But that is NOT what you said. You said that you moved to FL so Mom could help you with childcare so you could work. You are not working - are you? So that argument is moot.
You're arguing semantics - she's working towards working.

Her child is in an appropriate program - not an easy thing to find.

What you're saying is just... moot.:rolleyes:

Proserpina

You're arguing semantics - she's working towards working.

Her child is in an appropriate program - not an easy thing to find.

What you're saying is just... moot.:rolleyes:

No, stealth really isn't arguing semantics at all.

We get that you have an issue with several seniors. But seriously - you need to move beyond that. Don't pick for the sake of picking.

Start going through the archived posts. Read. Learn what does and doesn't matter in a relocation situation.

stealth's point is nowhere near moot.

formerNCM

No, stealth really isn't arguing semantics at all.

We get that you have an issue with several seniors. But seriously - you need to move beyond that. Don't pick for the sake of picking.

Start going through the archived posts. Read. Learn what does and doesn't matter in a relocation situation.

stealth's point is nowhere near moot.
This isn't picking for the sake of picking. Moving near a parent for support and help and away from an abusive spouse? This isn't a typical divorced and one spouse moved away situation, either. She didn't violate any court orders - they weren't even married. She's made mistakes and is owning up to them. Rather than beating her over the head and telling her to move back and pull her son out school (finding the right program for a child with special needs is like finding a needle in a haystack) (not to mention that the environment described sounds like the worst kind of nightmare for an autistic child) just so they can be near the dad? How about he does what's best for his son with special needs and moves down there?

And the comment is moot since she's working towards working. Um, who is anyone here to judge her choice of profession? You may not approve, but she's not sitting around watching soap operas all day.

There's legal advice, advice based on other's experiences, comments and opinions and then there's just plain judgement. I think you can see which posts I chose to comment on in this thread and why.

She's looking for real advice. Stealth and mom seem kind of bitter and this poster seems to have hit a nerve for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">