• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to talk to my daughter's stepmom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redhead143

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a 2 year old daughter with an exboyfriend who lives in Southern Califonia. My daughters father and I have a good parental relationship. We both compromise and cooperate with each other for the sake of our daughter. He has been a good dad, has paid child support and has been in my daughters life life since day one.

The problem we have though is his wife. She is a lawyer who works with tax law. For whatever reason shes decided she does not like me. In the last year, in order to make things better I started to communicate with her more regarding my daughters visitation out of respect. She seems to never be happy. Its almost like, she wants us to be fighting and going to court over problems we dont have.

Recently, I sent an email regarding a possible change of drop off time for my daughter for a visit to see her father. I forgot to send the email to her stepmom as well, immediately i received an angry email from her demanding that I "have to always copy her on any emails i send to her dad"
My questions are
1.Does she have any legal right to my daughter in any way.
2.Am i legally obligated to inform her in matters of my daughter?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a 2 year old daughter with an exboyfriend who lives in Southern Califonia. My daughters father and I have a good parental relationship. We both compromise and cooperate with each other for the sake of our daughter. He has been a good dad, has paid child support and has been in my daughters life life since day one.

The problem we have though is his wife. She is a lawyer who works with tax law. For whatever reason shes decided she does not like me. In the last year, in order to make things better I started to communicate with her more regarding my daughters visitation out of respect. She seems to never be happy. Its almost like, she wants us to be fighting and going to court over problems we dont have.

Recently, I sent an email regarding a possible change of drop off time for my daughter for a visit to see her father. I forgot to send the email to her stepmom as well, immediately i received an angry email from her demanding that I "have to always copy her on any emails i send to her dad"
My questions are
1.Does she have any legal right to my daughter in any way.
2.Am i legally obligated to inform her in matters of my daughter?
1 ~ She has no legal right to your daughter in any way. I have just as many rights to your little girl as she does.

2 ~ You are not obligated to communicate with her in any way either. EXCEPT, you have already awoken the sleeping giant by communicating with her for some time now. It will be up to you to be strong enough to say to her. I have decided that this is between X and me. I have decided that I will only communicate with him now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">