• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do my parents have any rights over my children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JynxRD

State: Kentucky

2 years ago my parents took my wife and I to court over my son. He was 8 years old and primarily lived with them because we had him so young. He was comfortable there and felt he was being ripped from his home when he stayed with us. Through mediated we agreed on a custody where they are the custodial parents and I pay $100 a month. They didn't want any money but there lawyer told them the judge would require they take money before he signed off on it. I began writing them check which they ripped up and said we don't wont your money we don't need it don't pay us. OK.

So now 2 years later they have become angry with me because I won't let me daughter go to there house 7 days a week. Now my daughter visits her grandparents a lot, probably more than any grandparent gets to see there grand kids. So now they are threatening to take me to court because I haven't paid them the $100 a month. Now if they want it I will pay it, no reason to go to court since they refused to take the $100 from me.

However the court document states that my son us supposed to stay with us on the weekends. He doesn't. It also states they are supposed to pay half of this medical bills. They don't. It also states that whoever gets the most money back on there taxes from claiming him is the one who should claim him and then the money will be placed into a college fund for him. They claim him every year knowing they won't get a penny back. They are self employed and they pay taxes every year, they don't get a refund. So they claim him so that they owe less on there taxes and thus his college fund is $0.

If they actually try to take me to court won't they get in a lot of hot water for not paying half his medical bills and claiming him on there taxes for there benefit instead of allowing me to claim him so I can put the money in his college fund as the court document states?

They also think they can take me to court over my daughter. My daughter has never lived with them. My wife and I have a nice house, this is where she lives with her 3 year old brother. We live really close to them so my daughter goes over there house almost every other day to spend time with them. Yet they feel they have some sort of rights over her and that I am responsible for making sure she is there when they want and for a certain amount of time. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I decide that my daughter needs to be home more and that she can visit them once a week, that's my right and there is nothing they can do about it. Would a judge actually make me take my daughter to her grandparents house on certain days so many times a week? I feel like my daughter has multiple parents and like I am helpless!

On top of all this my parents are flat broke. They just got on food stamps and I have, out of the kindness of my heart, paid there water bill, cable bill and electric bill for them the past couple of months. There water and electric has been turned off multiple times and I had it turned back on for them. Not to mention misc stuff I've paid such as a recent ticket my dad received and other odds and ends. They can barley afford to stay in there house let alone be responsible for my son anymore.

CourtClerk

There are so many things just fundamentally wrong with this... I need a puke emoticon. Until there is one, I'll just use this one. :rolleyes:

JynxRD

There are so many things just fundamentally wrong with this... I need a puke emoticon. Until there is one, I'll just use this one. :rolleyes:
Yea its pretty screwed up. I'm a worry wort as it is and have horrible anxiety so this is really tearing me up. I don't know what to do.

MichaCA

Yes, they do have rights to your son. However they are obliged to follow the court order. Do you go pick up your son on the weekends and they refuse? How often?

Your daughter they have no rights over and have zero voice in how much time she spends there. I suspect because they got custody of your son, they feel entitled in general over parenting your children.

But assert yourself...pick up your son on the weekends period. If they refuse...call a police officer to make a report that you attempted. File in court for contempt of the court order.

Medical expenses...do you have proof/paperwork? That, the tax situation and that you are not paying child support would all be addressed separately in child support court. I would start paying the $100, and figure out a way they have to take it...(?)

JynxRD

Yes, they do have rights to your son. However they are obliged to follow the court order. Do you go pick up your son on the weekends and they refuse? How often?

Your daughter they have no rights over and have zero voice in how much time she spends there. I suspect because they got custody of your son, they feel entitled in general over parenting your children.

But assert yourself...pick up your son on the weekends period. If they refuse...call a police officer to make a report that you attempted. File in court for contempt of the court order.

Medical expenses...do you have proof/paperwork? That, the tax situation and that you are not paying child support would all be addressed separately in child support court. I would start paying the $100, and figure out a way they have to take it...(?)
The medical expenses is probably hard to prove. The last one I paid was $600 and I paid it monthly with my credit card. But I guess they could just say they gave me cash and I can't prove they didn't. The taxes though obviously is provable. And your right, because of this they feel they can parent my daughter and threaten me when I don't let her come over. I just have this fear the legal system will fail me and give them some rights over my daughter. It just kills me they think I am keeping her from them just because I want her at home more.

CourtClerk

Yeah.. I wrote a comment.. but deleted it because I haven't been banned yet, and don't want to start now.
I want to, but I just can't because I see a banning in my future...

but I will say that OP, you have SOME NERVE. These people have raised YOUR child for 10 years because you and your wife were too darn irresponsible to do it yourself, but no one needed to help you have sex. Then... you sound like you're doing them a favor by paying their water, cable and electric bills a couple of times and down them for applying for foodstamps when you were ordered to pay what amounts to a little over $3/day to raise YOUR CHILD.

Oh my GOD what have we done to this generation of ingrates?

JynxRD

I want to, but I just can't because I see a banning in my future...

but I will say that OP, you have SOME NERVE. These people have raised YOUR child for 10 years because you and your wife were too darn irresponsible to do it yourself, but no one needed to help you have sex. Then... you sound like you're doing them a favor by paying their water, cable and electric bills a couple of times and down them for applying for foodstamps when you were ordered to pay what amounts to a little over $3/day to raise YOUR CHILD.

Oh my GOD what have we done to this generation of ingrates?
Your making assumptions. My wife and I lived alone with my son since he was born till he was 4. We then moved in with them because she lost her job and we couldn't afford the place we had. When we moved out my son was so used to be there that we, at the advise of my parents didn't make him leave everyday to go to his new place. They would get really irate with us if we said look we have a place again and our son needs to come home. This went on for years and I kept thinking I was doing the right thing by not forcing him to leave there house. Finally I took a stand and they took me to court. But I'm not here questioning if they should still have him. My parents have 2 daughters as well and both there husbands stopped them from giving them money every month for there bills and they let them be and have a great relationship with them. I however didn't quit giving them money, never quit helping with there bills and as such I am completely taken advantage of and threatened with court whenever I can't give them money or want my daughter to stay home and not go to there house.

CourtClerk

I however didn't quit giving them money, never quit helping with there bills
How benevolent of you....

I'm not making assumptions, I restated everything you said. You just don't like how I said it because it doesn't paint you in the best light. Of course, your original post doesn't make you and your wife look like the sorry old souls you would like people to think you are and the mean old devils you would like everyone to think your parents are. How about this. You owe them (by court order) $100/mo from the time you went to court. Cut them a check and say thank you for doing what you didn't for whatever reason and whatever big ole long excuse (that doesn't change anything)...

You really should cut them a check for something more like $500 - 600/mo.

Last edited:

JynxRD

How benevolent of you....

I'm not making assumptions, I restated everything you said. You just don't like how I said it because it doesn't paint you in the best light. Of course, your original post doesn't make you and your wife look like the sorry old souls you would like people to think you are and the mean old devils you would like everyone to think your parents are. How about this. You owe them (by court order) $100/mo from the time you went to court. Cut them a check and say thank you for doing what you didn't for whatever reason and whatever big ole long excuse (that doesn't change anything)...

You really should cut them a check for something more like $500 - 600/mo.
How about you keep your personal feelings out of this post and quit hijacking the thread. I stated they can have the money. I asked if they feel the need to go to court again rather than just asking me for it, will they get in trouble for the medical bill and tax portion of the agreement. I also asked about my daughter and what rights I have to not have her there all the time and if they could do anything about that at all. If your unable to put your bias opinions to the side and address the questions then quit coming into this thread.

CourtClerk

How about you keep your personal feelings out of this post and quit hijacking the thread. I stated they can have the money. I asked if they feel the need to go to court again rather than just asking me for it, will they get in trouble for the medical bill and tax portion of the agreement. I also asked about my daughter and what rights I have to not have her there all the time and if they could do anything about that at all. If your unable to put your bias opinions to the side and address the questions then quit coming into this thread.
Fortunately for me, I can go anywhere on this forum I'd like to...

Second, reading certainly isn't your strong suit because your questions have already been answered and there certainly isn't a reason to keep stating the same thing over and over again, unless you can't seem to get it from reading it once.

JynxRD

I suspect this thread will be locked so this will be my last post and the last time I look at it. Your simply an ass that forces your opinions and snide remarks on others. I sure hope your not actually involved in the legal system. Its people like you that worry me when it comes to dealing with our legal system. You don't have any friends outside of this forum do you?

ErinGoBragh

I suspect this thread will be locked so this will be my last post and the last time I look at it. Your simply an ass that forces your opinions and snide remarks on others. I sure hope your not actually involved in the legal system. Its people like you that worry me when it comes to dealing with our legal system. You don't have any friends outside of this forum do you?
Quoted for posterity.

CC is right, by the way. I think you have some nerve, both with the way you address your family situation, in ADDITION to insulting a volunteer of this forum who *IS* involved in the legal system/

Kiss off.

CourtClerk

I've got LOTS of friends, a good job, a decent education and my kid under my roof... your parents need a support modification while they're in there.

Oh, and the IRS says that the people who have the child more than half the time, claim the child. You lose on that one too. After looking again, I see they didn't actually answer that question.

A few up on you already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">