• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do step parents have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darf

What is the name of your state?
Nevada

Complicated story. I was married to a man who died 4 years ago. I basically raised his son, as his son's mother partied. We never had custody of him, but had him every weekend and most of the time during the summer.

I have since moved to Las Vegas. The child, now 8, still lives in Utah.

The child lives in intolerable circumstances. The "man" of the house has never worked, he beats all of the children of the home (there are six kids total. Only the two older girls have the same father), hold strange "order of the dragon?? church meetings" in the home, etc.

This child receives SS money from the state, but yet, has no new clothes, horrible personal hygene, and is neglected at every turn.

Since I've moved away, the mother, with whom I've been good friends with for years, will not allow me to see him anymore. Nobody can figure out what is going on. The mother has even banned her parents from seeing the boy.

The boy wants to live with me. I think the only thing stopping them from that is the money. We're relatively well off, and don't need the money. What we do need is to get him in counseling, provide a positive atmosphere for him, with positive role models, and give him a chance at life. His father suffered from depression and drug abuse, and we're all afraid that "my" young man is going to follow suit.

What can I do? The childs grandmother and I want to get him out, after his confession to her last month that he wanted to run away and move in with us.

Legally, is there anything I can do? Is there an age limit on when he can start making decisions? This child is the only one out of the six that doesn't have a father to protect his rights in the family. The other dads have physically threatened the new step dad to lay off on their kids. It's an awful situation, and I fear I have no rights to do anything, but there's a life at stake here.

Please help.
Darf

usmcfamily

The grandmother has more of a legal leg to stand on than you do (since you have none) but even she will likely face a difficult and possibly fruitless battle.

JETX

darf said:
What can I do?
You have no legal standing in this matter..... however, you can certainly contact CPS in the town/county where they live.

The childs grandmother and I want to get him out, after his confession to her last month that he wanted to run away and move in with us.
The grandmother MAY have some legal standing (unlikely though with a biological parent available). She might talk with a local attorney about petitioning the court for guardianship.

LdiJ

darf said:
What is the name of your state?
Nevada

Complicated story. I was married to a man who died 4 years ago. I basically raised his son, as his son's mother partied. We never had custody of him, but had him every weekend and most of the time during the summer.

I have since moved to Las Vegas. The child, now 8, still lives in Utah.

The child lives in intolerable circumstances. The "man" of the house has never worked, he beats all of the children of the home (there are six kids total. Only the two older girls have the same father), hold strange "order of the dragon?? church meetings" in the home, etc.

This child receives SS money from the state, but yet, has no new clothes, horrible personal hygene, and is neglected at every turn.

Since I've moved away, the mother, with whom I've been good friends with for years, will not allow me to see him anymore. Nobody can figure out what is going on. The mother has even banned her parents from seeing the boy.

The boy wants to live with me. I think the only thing stopping them from that is the money. We're relatively well off, and don't need the money. What we do need is to get him in counseling, provide a positive atmosphere for him, with positive role models, and give him a chance at life. His father suffered from depression and drug abuse, and we're all afraid that "my" young man is going to follow suit.

What can I do? The childs grandmother and I want to get him out, after his confession to her last month that he wanted to run away and move in with us.

Legally, is there anything I can do? Is there an age limit on when he can start making decisions? This child is the only one out of the six that doesn't have a father to protect his rights in the family. The other dads have physically threatened the new step dad to lay off on their kids. It's an awful situation, and I fear I have no rights to do anything, but there's a life at stake here.

Please help.
Darf
Legally there is nothing that YOU can do. The grandmother may have some options, but you don't. The grandmother should consult with an attorney in Utah.

darf

Response

I obviously want the boy, but didn't think I had a legal leg to stand on. It's obvious too, that the boy would be better off with Grandma than to stay in his current situation.

Is there an age where the courts would ever decide to place him where he wanted to go?

His time to form habits that will allow him to function normally in society is passing him by.

I'm not trying to be overdramatic. He needs counseling which his biological mother is completely against. He has no friends, and tells me it hurts his feelings. He does not function well with his other siblings. I blame this on the mother. Last summer, wanting to see him, the mother told me they all went swimming. I had some clothes still at my house and dropped them off, and my boy was there! The mom simply said that he couldn't swim, and the other kids didn't want to take care of him. We offered money for swimming lessons, but, alas, nobody has time to take him to lessons.

We want boy scouts for him; dress him appropriately; feed him instead of and this is a quote from the unemployed step dad "when you're mom's not home, it's fend for yourselves." We want to teach him manners, and how to function in the society he is going to enter in 10 short years.

I feel helpless and utterly devastated. He's going to end up in the same boat as his biological father. He's going to turn to people who will accept him, and those other people will be misfits who smoke pot/meth all day long. This is what happened to his dad.

CPS- He has confided in me about his abuse. He told me, and this is coming from an 8 year old "you can't report it. You can't get custody of me. It will be even worse for me if they find out I told anyone. Then I won't be able to see you or grandma anymore."

Helpless in Las Vegas

Last edited:
T

titansfan

sorry you have no rights

im sorry, but you are a legal stranger with no rights,not even the right to see the child. if mom wont get him into counseling, theres nothing you can do about it, you have no say over the child.

darf

Titans Fan

We've found this out through difficult experience.

Doesn't there come a time though, when a court will say, you're awful parents, and you don't deserve to have these kids?

Every single one of the kids have voiced the opinion that they need out of that environment.

At what point do they look at the child's rights, and not base everything upon the biological parent's rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">