• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do unmarried mothers have to file for custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unicorn17731

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.
My unmarried daughter and her married boyfriend have a child together.They are in the Army and were station in S.Korea.The child has been with my daughter since birth and they came home to California in March 2010. The father came to CA in July 2010.As of August 2010 my daughter now lives in Florida with the child and the boyfriend now lives in Texas and is having a relationship with his first cousin and wants custody of the child even tho she has not spent time with him.He also has a son who lives with his wife and he is not trying to get custody of him. Since they were never married to each other does my daughter need to file for custody of her child?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.
My unmarried daughter and her married boyfriend have a child together.They are in the Army and were station in S.Korea.The child has been with my daughter since birth and they came home to California in March 2010. The father came to CA in July 2010.As of August 2010 my daughter now lives in Florida with the child and the boyfriend now lives in Texas and is having a relationship with his first cousin and wants custody of the child even tho she has not spent time with him.He also has a son who lives with his wife and he is not trying to get custody of him. Since they were never married to each other does my daughter need to file for custody of her child?
Your daughter doesn't NEED to file for custody of the child, and it may or may not be wise for her to do so.

However, she is going to need to wait for a bit. She and the child need to live in FL for a full six months before she can file for custody in FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">