• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do women pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momofrose

No terms for "deadbeat mom's"

Obviously there are far less of us (mom's who pay child support) then there are dad's..ergo why the terms "deadbeat dad's". Not that there are more father's that are deadbeats then mothesr, just that there are more father's who pay child support (period).

I get very angry when I read about instances whereby a mother say's she doesn't have to pay child supprt.

I fell behind by only two weeks last year (completely by mistake) and I was sent a notice by the probabtion department that unless I came up with that money in 30 days I was going to court.

The courts in NJ are VERY serious about child support whomever pays it.

Not only do I pay $202.00 a week for my daugher, I also spend at least $20.00 for dinners three times a week and she is completely set up in our house with everything a little girl could want and more. Her room and her playroom are the envy of the neighborhood.

I also pay for her to join our swim club, I give her money for "extra's" at lunch and I give her a small allowance if she would like to help me around the house when she is "lving" with me.

She is treated by me (and my DH) as though I pay no child support.

Does it urk me that I have to pay as much as I do when I know he is making so much more then he said he did 4 years ago? Yes..and I am handling that this summer with a modification.

Until then - all NCP's - regardless of dad's or mom's..should not only pay the child support, but they should do the little extra's necessary for a special relationship with the child.

caseelynn

yes,women do have to pay

LOL!!!that is hilarious that she thinks she doesnt have to pay. Let her think that and then when she doesnt she will go to court and look like an fool!! I just went to court with my husband and we won custody of his son and she has been ordered to pay support along with almost 5000 dollars of arrears. She is so stubborn that she thinks that since my husband makes great money that she shouldnt have to wait,but we are going to court and they are going to arrest her, sofor all the women in the world that wanted equal rights,you got em and you dont only get the good and fun parts of it,you good ALL of them,bad or good. you cant pick the ones you want.

wnagel

It was 6 years ago that I posted that link. Here is a follow up:

I filed a contempt and she came to court. Her attornies did a great smoke job on the child support enforcement officer and argued about everything. They asked for another hearing as they were not properly prepared. The Court granted this. They then filed for a motion to change custody, and a motion to change child support. Still no child support being paid. They asked for continuences and started with the interrogatories and depositions. Of course, stalling things out as much as possible. They got a new order of child support that is about $100 less. Then they started to argue about the Journal Entry. A year went by of arguing about the Journal Entry. Now they want to reargue child support as there is a change in income. Still no child support being paid. The bottom line is: Yes, with a good attorney, you don't need to pay child support.

Isis1

It was 6 years ago that I posted that link. Here is a follow up:

I filed a contempt and she came to court. Her attornies did a great smoke job on the child support enforcement officer and argued about everything. They asked for another hearing as they were not properly prepared. The Court granted this. They then filed for a motion to change custody, and a motion to change child support. Still no child support being paid. They asked for continuences and started with the interrogatories and depositions. Of course, stalling things out as much as possible. They got a new order of child support that is about $100 less. Then they started to argue about the Journal Entry. A year went by of arguing about the Journal Entry. Now they want to reargue child support as there is a change in income. Still no child support being paid. The bottom line is: Yes, with a good attorney, you don't need to pay child support.
so after six years....no arrears racked up?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? KS

I got custody of my daughter about 4 months ago. The Judge awarded me $1200 per month Child Support and tagged on $7,000 for arrears. My ex told me that she has no intention of paying and that women don't pay child support. Obviously I opened a case file with Child Support Enforcement, but when I went in, I was the only man, and all the child support enforcement people were women. They really didn't seem too interested in helping me. My ex lives in NY and they kept telling me that it could take 8 or 9 months to get this started because she is out of state. When I was paying child support (for 10 years) I was late one month and they sent me a very threatening letter stating either pay your debt or spend the weekend in jail. Are women treated differently?
No, women are NOT treated differently. If you were a mother whose ex was out of state you would be given the same info...when its an initial case. Once things get going she will get the same threatening letters and actions if she doesn't pay.

However, you are also in the same boat as many other custodial parents. If your ex is absolutely determined not to pay child support, and is willing to tank her own financial life, for the long term, you may have just as much difficulty collecting from her as many other custodial parents have collecting from many other non custodial parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">