• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do women pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wnagel

What is the name of your state? KS

I got custody of my daughter about 4 months ago. The Judge awarded me $1200 per month Child Support and tagged on $7,000 for arrears. My ex told me that she has no intention of paying and that women don't pay child support. Obviously I opened a case file with Child Support Enforcement, but when I went in, I was the only man, and all the child support enforcement people were women. They really didn't seem too interested in helping me. My ex lives in NY and they kept telling me that it could take 8 or 9 months to get this started because she is out of state. When I was paying child support (for 10 years) I was late one month and they sent me a very threatening letter stating either pay your debt or spend the weekend in jail. Are women treated differently?

tigger22472

You're EX is full of BS... YES women pay support... sometimes it's less because staticially they make less but they are EQUALLY responsible to pay. Iwouldn't necessarily think CSE not jumping at the chance to take care of you being because you're a man... trust me... I don't even think a branding would get CSE off their butt for a man or a woman. It's just a matter of hanging in there and filing for contempt...and the number one thing you learn is DOCUMENT EVERYTHING

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

And I really don't understand why they are telling you it could take 8 - 9 months to start the child support collection process. If they know where she works, all they have to do is send her employer a wage withholding order. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks. Stay on their butts daily if they keep dragging their feet.

wnagel

They told me that they handle everything. Do they file the contempt or do I have my attorney do this? It really feels funny being on the other side of the fence now.

tigger22472

They CAN handle the contempts but getting them to do it can be a pain. If you CAN file yourself with your attorney I would at least consult him/ her about it.

P

Pfaffing85690

My God man, relax, go to a Comets game, take a Saturday afternoon at the Nelson or just hang out on the Country Club Plaza.

They will handle it.

nextwife

" My ex told me that she has no intention of paying and that women don't pay child support"

WTF! The NCP, male or female, is considered to have a legal duty to support their child. Because she could give birth she has no further financial responsibilities? Give me a break!

momofrose

I pay child support

I as divorced in 1999. At that time my husband "claimed" he only made $29,000.00 a year (self employed construction).

I made more than that and our divorce terms had me have her less than 50% of the time..therefore I pay child support - $800.00 a month.

Believe me WOMEN DO pay child support.

WyattJ

wnagel said:
They told me that they handle everything. Do they file the contempt or do I have my attorney do this?
***Really you could go to the court house yourself and file contempt charges w/out a lawyer. It only cost me the filing fees $5.00 instead a lawyer - it was cheaper.

P

poohbear_1976

YES!!!!!!!

woman do have to pay child support.I am a woman and I had to pay child support at one time.just because we are woman does not mean we do not have to take care of our children that we gave birth to.We are no more special than men are.So for your ex,she will either pay up or she will end up n jail.Which ever one She choices.I hope she would choice to support her kids,but the way you are talking it looks like she might be just spending some time in jail.It won't be anytime soon though because they have to be so much behind before they are put in jail.I wish you the best of luck with getting any money out of her.she sounds like a real B***h to try to get along with and try talking to.

tammy8

Thumbs up to all the mothers out here on this board paying cs.

However on several other boards, I know the majority of bms don't pay their child support. I am talking some bms owing close to $20K.........

So in my world the majority of women DON'T pay and judges tend not to do anything about women as opposed to Dads that owe back cs. A man would be in jail so fast it would make your head spin, a woman is given a second chance, a third chance, a fourth chance, usally until the Dad gives up.

nextwife

Thanks, Haiku. Interesting statistics. I especially like the ones about how many "deadbeat dads" are actually dead (or living with the CP and are therefore "not paying") and the ones about how many female NCPS fail to pay proportionate to male NCPs.

tammy8

I LOVE THAT ARTICLE!!!!!!

While I understand that there are a lot of parents out there not paying what they should, I HATE the term deadbeat dad because if the truth be known, there are MORE deadbeat bms who believe it is their right NOT to pay cs!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">