• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do you have to be divorced to retain child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hope_w_2000

I have a very important question. I have a 12 year old daughter, whom i have raised independently all her life. Her father , for the most part, been incarcerated for most of her life. When he is on the streets he doesn't support her at all. I have been in a relationship for 6 years and have 2 other children in this relationship. I thought we had gotten a divorce in 93 because of some papers my 1st childs father had sent me from jail. When i went to file for child support some years ago i found out that we were not divorced that the case had been thrown out for lack of prosecution. I don't have the funds to hire a lawyer for divorce and custody and i am stuck on what i should do? Please help. He is destroying my child with his constant lies and non-support.

L

LadyBlu

hope_w_2000 said:
I have a very important question. I have a 12 year old daughter, whom i have raised independently all her life. Her father , for the most part, been incarcerated for most of her life. When he is on the streets he doesn't support her at all. I have been in a relationship for 6 years and have 2 other children in this relationship. I thought we had gotten a divorce in 93 because of some papers my 1st childs father had sent me from jail. When i went to file for child support some years ago i found out that we were not divorced that the case had been thrown out for lack of prosecution. I don't have the funds to hire a lawyer for divorce and custody and i am stuck on what i should do? Please help. He is destroying my child with his constant lies and non-support.

Will need to know what state youa re in to direct you to the appropriate location on the web to find the divorce petitions, also you may want to contact the Legal Aid society in your area, and also the State Bar Assn to see if they have a listing of atty's that do pro bono work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">