• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a 12 Year Old have a visitation choice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gibbs133

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My daughter who is 12 years old has come to dislike her father strongly over the past year. He doesn't pick her up when the court has ordered and has recently decided to change that. She has been emotionally drained by him and she goes into a panic when she thinks he may pick her up. She has become so upset that she has threatened to run away when he is supposed to show up. I have a wonderful relationship with her, she is my adopted daughter and I don't want to force her to do something she doesn't want to do. Will I be in contempt of court if she refuses to go? I don't want her to be put through anymore bad experiences. She was his daughter when I met him (she was 3) and her birth mother relinquished her rights at the age of 5. She has had a rough go of it and I'm the only person she trusts and respects. What do you advise?

LdiJ

gibbs133 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My daughter who is 12 years old has come to dislike her father strongly over the past year. He doesn't pick her up when the court has ordered and has recently decided to change that. She has been emotionally drained by him and she goes into a panic when she thinks he may pick her up. She has become so upset that she has threatened to run away when he is supposed to show up. I have a wonderful relationship with her, she is my adopted daughter and I don't want to force her to do something she doesn't want to do. Will I be in contempt of court if she refuses to go? I don't want her to be put through anymore bad experiences. She was his daughter when I met him (she was 3) and her birth mother relinquished her rights at the age of 5. She has had a rough go of it and I'm the only person she trusts and respects. What do you advise?
I am truly sorry but you really must insist that she go. The courts won't give her a choice regarding visitation at 12...and you would be risking contempt (and in the extreme a loss of custody) if she doesn't go on the visits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">