• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a 15 yr. old have a choice in visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wllmscrzy

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am a 15 yr. old in the state of Virginia who has had no personal relationship with her father... ever. And my mom recently went back to court to get more child support and is now insisting I go to visitation. I was wondering if there are any laws that state that I am able to make a choice in the matter? :confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If there's a court order for visitation and your Dad wants to exercise it - you have no choice but to go.

L

legalcuriosity

At your age, if you can make a solid case as to why you shouldn't go, a Judge will take what you have to say into consideration. I've read rulings where this has happened.

wllmscrzy

Stealth2 I believe you are quite wrong, you see I have freedom of choice and if I sincerely do not want to go somewhere I do NOT have to. Maybe legally I have to, but that is not what you said. I am sure I could find a way of getting out of something as trivial as this, there are a million ways. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
wllmscrzy said:
Stealth2 I believe you are quite wrong, you see I have freedom of choice and if I sincerely do not want to go somewhere I do NOT have to. Maybe legally I have to, but that is not what you said. I am sure I could find a way of getting out of something as trivial as this, there are a million ways. :cool:
Then why even ask the question? Do you know what the potential consequences would be - to you AND your mother?

VeronicaGia

wllmscrzy said:
Very immature. Your mother must abide by the court order, and until you are an adult or your mother gets a new court order, if dad wants to exercise his court ordered rights, you go.

kat1963

Okay so you are going to get a job right? Judges in VA have the power to abate full or partial child support payments if you refuse visitation. Don't come back here in a few months screaming when your mother can't afford to buy you new school clothing. The judge could also fine your mother, suspend her driver’s license & even have her do some jail time for contempt of the court order. On the other hand, you just might piss off the judge enough that he makes you go live with your father..You know, full time, until you are 18 which since you are only a 15 year old smart mouth little punk will seem like FOREVER.
KAT

wllmscrzy said:
You entered a LEGAL forum. You got a LEGAL answer. If you choose to immaturely twist it to serve your purpose than that's your business. Yes, you can decide to try to "get out of something as trivial as this", but the courts won't think it's so trivial. You need to think about your mother. SHE's the one you're gonna put at risk of being in contempt of court and going to jail because you don't want to go. Do this right. Ask your mother to file a motion to modify the custody order. Ask to speak to the judge and have your voice heard. Point out the reasons you don't want to go to your fathers. But don't smart mouth off and say there are a million ways to get out of going. You're just gonna hurt your mom - the one person who's consistently been there for you. Think smart, kid, 'k?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">