• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does an agreement to pay medical expenses also include dental expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aramos

Geogia

My wife's ex-husband sent my wife a court summons asking her to pay for almost $3000 for medical bills related to a son from thier marriage. The expenses were not medical expenses, but dental expenses for elective procedures that he decided to have done although my wife told him, she could not afford to help pay at the time he had this done. By the way, the dental work (braces) were put on about 3 years ago. My wife's divorce decree does not mention dental responsibilities, only medical. Can someone tell me if this is a valid claim or not?

LdiJ

aramos said:
Geogia

My wife's ex-husband sent my wife a court summons asking her to pay for almost $3000 for medical bills related to a son from thier marriage. The expenses were not medical expenses, but dental expenses for elective procedures that he decided to have done although my wife told him, she could not afford to help pay at the time he had this done. By the way, the dental work (braces) were put on about 3 years ago. My wife's divorce decree does not mention dental responsibilities, only medical. Can someone tell me if this is a valid claim or not?
Generally, medical expenses also includes dental expenses. Your wife might have some argument if the braces were honestly needed for nothing other than purely cosmetic purposes.

N

NoDiggety

aramos said:
Geogia

Do the parents share custody (i.e. joint legal?)
What does their divorce decree/court order say in regards to expenses when the parents do not agree (i.e. mediation)? What about cosmetic procedures?
Did any of the parents bother to get different quotes for the braces?

Outside of extreme cases, braces are purely cosmetic. Another thing that's not gonna help dad is that he waited 3 years and is now submitting the bill. The ex is going to have to respond and refer to their divorce decree/court order. A consult with a few attorneys probably wouldn't hurt either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">