• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does boy baby need fathers last name if parents not married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cookp

What is the name of your state? Maryland
My sister lives in Maryland and just found out that she will be having a baby boy. She has been told by 3 different people that she needs to give the baby the fathers last name so that it will be easier for her to get medical insurance under the father for the baby and so that she will get more money for child support. Is this true. She does not want to give the baby the fathers last name.
She does not want to give the baby the fathers last name because he has not been their for her. He at first wanted her to get an abortion.

Last edited:

P

Pfaffing85690

She has been told by 3 different people that she needs to give the baby the fathers last name so that it will be easier for her to get medical insurance under the father for the baby and so that she will get more money for child support.
Well this is a first.

O.K. by the numbers. As to insurance, that's up to the insurance carrier and the father to prove that the child is his and that the policy will accept the child.

As to support, you can name the child George of the Jungle and it has no legal affect on support. All that matters is that the father is PROVEN by paternity to be the legal father.

And if she is thinking that More money for support is based on anythng she has been "TOLD" put that idea out of her mind right now. Support is based on a formula unique to each state.

nextwife

" She does not want to give the baby the fathers last name."

Yeah. Heaven forbid the guy who she'll expect to have the financial responsibility for being the father actually gets to have his child share his name.

misslawli

She can name the kid whatever she wants. My son's Father signed an Acknowledgment of Paternity, signed the BC but still has my last name. Name has nothing to do with it. Him signing the Acknowledgment of Paternity will be whats important. Assuming of course he is not disputing the fact that he is the father.

D

dezer

IT would be in the child's best interest to hyphenate his/her last name so s/he bears both parents name.

M

monnickasmommy

nextwife I agree with you -

If you give him your last name now he will have everyright to fight it ! Lets save court time and just give the baby the fathers name at first if she is 99.999999% sure he is the father. She wants his "wallet" but she dont have the respect to have the baby carry his last name ?

Trust me if you put his last name on the BC now, it will save alot of headach's later- and BOTH you will have to face getting a new BC/SS cards all changed if he was to contest it. -

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">