• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does filing contempt really do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DChristian112

What is the name of your state? MN
I just had a general question...
First off, let me explain, I am in no situation where I need to file contempt charges against my ex.
After viewing so many posts about contempt, I wonder if filing really does anything?
From what it seems, when you file contempt charges, you get a mere slap on the hand, and you are told not do it again, whatever it is you did.

Theoretically, say I deny my ex visitation, (I do not plan on it, but say I do) and he files contempt charges on me. What then happens?
I go to court, a judge gives me her opinion, and warns me?
Does anyone ever get thrown in jail for this?

Just wondering...
Thanks!

tigger22472

DChristian112 said:
What is the name of your state? MN
I just had a general question...
First off, let me explain, I am in no situation where I need to file contempt charges against my ex.
After viewing so many posts about contempt, I wonder if filing really does anything?
From what it seems, when you file contempt charges, you get a mere slap on the hand, and you are told not do it again, whatever it is you did.

Theoretically, say I deny my ex visitation, (I do not plan on it, but say I do) and he files contempt charges on me. What then happens?
I go to court, a judge gives me her opinion, and warns me?
Does anyone ever get thrown in jail for this?

Just wondering...
Thanks!
I've heard of it happening before. It depends on the judge and the individual case. I don't think you get much on a one time offense. It's smarter to have proof or several occurrence.

Grace_Adler

Yeah, it usually depends on your location (state and county) and the judge. Just based on what I've seen, heard and had some attorneys tell me, most people get out of any harsh punishment for many different reasons and basically just get a slap on the wrist, in this area.

D

DChristian112

Hey, it's YOUR T-Shirt. For you, they're a way of life - a dream realized!
And I am beginning to think you are jealous of my realized dream because I pull it off so vivaciously!

T

theother

Has anyone managed to get a judge to punish a CP that is denying visitation in any other way?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">