• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic abuse child custody case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jontt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm in a situation where I need to find an attorney who would work pro-bono on a child custody case. The situation is that their are two children, aged 13 and 14, who live with their parent's abusive behavior everyday. The parents are mentally, abusive, the mother supplies her children with illegal prescription drugs such as Roxycodone and methodone on daily bases, and the parents essentially lead the way for the kids to end up like them- encouraging alcohol and drug use. The parents also use Cocain, weed, and a host of illegal drugs.

The grandmother and grandfather wish to seek custody of the children, to avoid having them put into a foster system. The grandparents live at the same household, they are the ones who pay all the bills and maintain it for the parents & kids. They want to move out, have their own place, and get the kids out of the situation in about the same time frame. As once they leave, there will be no income for the parents or kids.

DSS and social services have already been dispatched and investigated the parents, both have charges against them and personal protection orders. But everyone is going through the motions, and it seems all will be resolved very soon.

Bottom line- this household is a drug house, where dealers, users, and generally bad people are encouraged to be around these kids, the parents have a history of violence and abuse, and the grandmother and grandfather want to get out with the kids. If anyone has any resources or can offer any help, please. Thank you

MichaCA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

DSS and social services have already been dispatched and investigated the parents, both have charges against them and personal protection orders. But everyone is going through the motions, and it seems all will be resolved very soon.

Bottom line- this household is a drug house, where dealers, users, and generally bad people are encouraged to be around these kids, the parents have a history of violence and abuse, and the grandmother and grandfather want to get out with the kids. If anyone has any resources or can offer any help, please. Thank you
What are the charges against the parents? Are they being charged criminally? Who has a personal protection order, and how is that working if everyone lives together?

jontt

As far as I know, both parents have the PPO. The charges I'm not sure of. I believe it relates to child neglect, unsanitary living enviroment. Each parent has been ordered to undergo mental evaluations, and thats all thats left before DSS essentially leaves them alone, and stops the weekly visitis.

The grandparents want to move out, and can afford to as they are the only income source, but the moment they do all the funds stop coming into the home. They want to move, and with a emergency custody order, get custody of the children within two weeks if possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">