• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drivers permit-continued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thawk

What is the name of your state? ca
This is not a custody issue, the custody agreement is 5 hours per month but only if the children agree. The mother has moved several times and has left no address and is incosistant when dealing with the kids-she often does not call them for months.

my 16 year old son needed to get both signatures on his learners permit in order to get his learners permit. He got his mothers signatue then mine but lost the paperwork before he turned it in. At the Dmv his step mother signed her own name as guardian on his learners permit-this is now old news as he now has his drivers license.

Now my son has completed his drivers training after 6 months-he is now 17, I took him and got his license and I signed under parent-no one else signed the paper but me-his legal parent.

The mother said he left the signed paper in her car and is now claiming that she never gave her permission for him to drive. I pay all insurance and have never asked for her help on compensation.

Your right the stepmother has no legal rights, only the right to cook clean and care for the children, be there after prom, after dates, school meetings with the teachers, teach them how to drive, homework, talk politics, life and all else for the last 4 years while the mother is off traveling and living off alimony and child support which I still pay. no cards on birthdays no nothing for the kids-how does one explain this.....

in 2 years she has seen the children for 12 days-her choice-she set the tone for her relationship not us, but can sit and armchair quarterback on every decision.

How old should my son wait until he can drive? Should he become emancipated from her or us so that he can enjoy his youth?

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? ca
This is not a custody issue, the custody agreement is 5 hours per month but only if the children agree. The mother has moved several times and has left no address and is incosistant when dealing with the kids-she often does not call them for months.

my 16 year old son needed to get both signatures on his learners permit in order to get his learners permit. He got his mothers signatue then mine but lost the paperwork before he turned it in. At the Dmv his step mother signed her own name as guardian on his learners permit-this is now old news as he now has his drivers license.

Now my son has completed his drivers training after 6 months-he is now 17, I took him and got his license and I signed under parent-no one else signed the paper but me-his legal parent.

The mother said he left the signed paper in her car and is now claiming that she never gave her permission for him to drive. I pay all insurance and have never asked for her help on compensation.

Your right the stepmother has no legal rights, only the right to cook clean and care for the children, be there after prom, after dates, school meetings with the teachers, teach them how to drive, homework, talk politics, life and all else for the last 4 years while the mother is off traveling and living off alimony and child support which I still pay. no cards on birthdays no nothing for the kids-how does one explain this.....

in 2 years she has seen the children for 12 days-her choice-she set the tone for her relationship not us, but can sit and armchair quarterback on every decision.

How old should my son wait until he can drive? Should he become emancipated from her or us so that he can enjoy his youth?
How old should my son wait until he can drive?
Not a legal question.

Should he become emancipated from her or us so that he can enjoy his youth?
Would he be able to prove these things?

To get a declaration of emancipation, you have to prove ALL of these things:

* You are at least 14 years old.
* You don't want to live with your parents. Your parents don't mind if you move out.
* You can handle your own money.
* You have a legal way to make money.
* Emancipation would be good for you.

From: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/emancip/emanqa.htm

jbowman

Didnt you get your answer on the other thread?

Also, I dont think how often mom sees your son has anything to do with your current issue. You are afraid that she may have a case against you for allowing your new wife to sign as your son's guardian, right? Well, let her take it to court. Sounds like since she is so uninvolved that she may just be blowing smoke. BUT i would suggest that no matter how wonderful and involved your new wife may be--DO NOT allow her to sign anything as your children's guardian. She is a legal stranger.
Preventative medicine.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How old should my son wait until he can drive?
Personally? Given the last few weeks in my area and the teen auto fatalities they've brought? Older than 17.

Should he become emancipated from her or us so that he can enjoy his youth?
Sure. He'd have to become emancipated from all of you. And of course, there's taht pesky litle requirement that he be able to completely support himself with no help from you.

thawk

ok-we agree after research about emacipation-thats not the way to go.

on the issue of signing-we agree it wont happen again-but what could the punishment be.-its too late to reverse this now-also- the drivers permit is invalid because he has his liscense making the permit obsolete. What could we expect from her? yes my wife signed, but it was not maliciaous-

ezmarelda

ok-we agree after research about emacipation-thats not the way to go.

on the issue of signing-we agree it wont happen again-but what could the punishment be.-its too late to reverse this now-also- the drivers permit is invalid because he has his liscense making the permit obsolete. What could we expect from her? yes my wife signed, but it was not maliciaous-
My non-legal opinion...I think Mom would have a hard time convincing a judge that Step-Mom did anything wrong in this particular situation.
Besides don't you think Mom's probably just blowin' smoke to try to anoy you?

M

Mediate

ohio
if someone gets pulled over driving without a liscence with kids in car do they get in more trouble?
Stop hijacking other people's threads with your own questions. Driving without insurance ih Ohio is illegal. Period. Let me guess...you're still reaching for something against your ex, huh? :rolleyes: This isn't your thread...stop jacking it. The thread, that is.

M

Mediate

OP...your other thread was closed for a reason. Last I checked, it's frowned upon when the thread is continued with a new one.

LdiJ

My non-legal opinion...I think Mom would have a hard time convincing a judge that Step-Mom did anything wrong in this particular situation.
Besides don't you think Mom's probably just blowin' smoke to try to anoy you?
I am not sure about that. Signing for a driver's license is a big deal, because the parents become legally liable for the teenager. If someone signed for the driver's license who was not legally liable for the child, that could present all KINDS of problems.

thawk

so since I a m a legal resident and have primary custody and signed for his license, I have taken on the financial responsibility to pay for his insurance-seems ok to me since his mother has never paid a dime for anything-

i realize my wife should not of signed for his permit, but that is obsolete now because he now has his drivers license which I signed for. I cant go back and reverse history.

The ex wife did originally sign for his permit which was subsequently lost. not sure that she can ever say she had no prior knowlege.

fairisfair

so since I a m a legal resident and have primary custody and signed for his license, I have taken on the financial responsibility to pay for his insurance-seems ok to me since his mother has never paid a dime for anything-

i realize my wife should not of signed for his permit, but that is obsolete now because he now has his drivers license which I signed for. I cant go back and reverse history.

The ex wife did originally sign for his permit which was subsequently lost. not sure that she can ever say she had no prior knowlege.

So, in the future, be sure that step mom does not overstep her legal boundaries. Hopefully, other mom will just let this go with an admonishment.

and

Drive on.:p ;) :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have taken on the financial responsibility to pay for his insurance
No, you have take on financial responsibility. You, as a parent, still have the right to tell kiddo that he has to pay for his OWN insurance, and if he doesn't, then he is not allowed to drive.

thawk

ex wife is still a resident although she lives a few hours away. again i believe since she originally signed the learners permit, although lost it still shows her as having knowlege. She did not sign the drivers license only I did so I believe the learners permit is obsolete.

amazing to me that parents can go after the kid to get to the other parent. kids ultimatly lose there youth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">