• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drivers permit - joint legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Since your son is already 15, why don't you take him to get his permit in Illinois before he goes to dad's. Then he can take it with to California. Dad make have dreamed of teaching junior to drive and this summer is his only chance.
I agree. And I don't mind his Dad teaching him the basics. They have already been practicing in empty parking lots (I have no idea what the law is on that) and our son is having so much fun! When he gets back to IL he can't take drivers training in school and I'll do some practicing with him (scary times!)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree. And I don't mind his Dad teaching him the basics. They have already been practicing in empty parking lots (I have no idea what the law is on that) and our son is having so much fun! When he gets back to IL he can't take drivers training in school and I'll do some practicing with him (scary times!)
Without a learner's permit it is illegal and if he is caught doing that, he can lose the privilege of driving for quite a while. Legally, he is breaking the law and you are encouraging it. Why can't he take driver's training in school? Is it because the schools have cut that program?

CJane

Without a learner's permit it is illegal and if he is caught doing that, he can lose the privilege of driving for quite a while. Legally, he is breaking the law and you are encouraging it. Why can't he take driver's training in school? Is it because the schools have cut that program?
I think it's a typo. Given the context.

Could be wrong.

However, he can't get his permit if he's not enrolled in driver ed.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/teen_driver_safety/gdl.html

LdiJ

Lucky.

My daughter turned 15 in December. She's been driving on a permit since February. She'll upgrade to a restricted license when she turns 16 -- and my insurance will go up by another $150/month. :(
Here, you can get a special permit at 15 1/2 if you are taking driver's ed in high school, but otherwise, you cannot get a learner's permit until you are 16, and cannot get your license until you are 16 1/2.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The requirements of getting a Learner's Permit is STATE dependent. The one thing is, as with a Driver's License, is that you must be a RESIDENT of said state. Now, residency requirements also vary by state.

With that said, mom, having sole physical custody does prove residency, BUT, the parents SHARE joint LEGAL custody. If dad can prove whatever he needs to get a permit in California without either parent lying, that is acceptable.

CJane

The requirements of getting a Learner's Permit is STATE dependent. The one thing is, as with a Driver's License, is that you must be a RESIDENT of said state. Now, residency requirements also vary by state.

With that said, mom, having sole physical custody does prove residency, BUT, the parents SHARE joint LEGAL custody. If dad can prove whatever he needs to get a permit in California without either parent lying, that is acceptable.
Mom is presuming that Dad CAN'T prove "whatever he needs" to prove though, or he wouldn't have sent HER the paperwork to sign.

DNA2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL and CA
I can't find a category for this question so I apologize if this belongs somewhere else. I have primary physical custody of our children in IL (they go to school here etc.) Father has them for the summer. Our son just turned 15 and his Father sent me a form from the CA DMV to sign allowing a provisional permit. But the form says he has to have CA residency. What is my son's residency for purposes of a driver's permit? If he gets one in CA will it prohibit him fro getting one in IL? Thanks.
Hi challenges, I'm in NY so my daughter could not get a drivers permit until she turned 16. They can't take drivers training out here until after they have a drivers permit. Back when she was living out of state with her father, I wanted to get her a state ID card for when she travels back and forth between the coasts from her dad to me and back. She had no photo ID at the time (she did not receive a school ID). My ex had physical custody and we had joint legal but he too wanted me to get her a state ID card in NY when she was visiting because it was one less thing for him to do. However, when I asked about it and explained how we wanted it for travel reasons, the DMV told me she had to be a resident. A supervisor come over and I was told my that her dad should take her to get her an ID card in the state she was living. She never did get one from the other state, so we got her one once she moved here and started high school. Of course soon after she also got a school ID card so the state ID card was never really needed.

I used to practice driving in empty parking lots back in the 80s with my dad. It never occurred to me we were breaking any laws. Those were good times.

ajkroy

Tell them all to move to NH -- kids are allowed to drive here at 15 1/2 with a family member over 21. No permit even exists here, and they cannot sign up for Driver's Ed until they are 16. We really mean it when we say "Live Free or DIE"... :rolleyes:

CJane

A billion years ago (1987), I was 14, and had never taken driver's ed, or had a learner's permit. And Kansas issued me a 'restricted' license, which allowed me to drive to school and/or work.

I'm very glad that's no longer a possibility.

My lawyer didn't know the answer

about this issue but told me to write a nice email to Dad saying I don't feel comfortable signing a blank form (he didn't put in our son's residence or anything else).

Related to driving our son has pretty severe ADHD and his psychiatrist recommended a while ago delaying his driving until he matured. His father tends to not take the ADHD as seriously as it should be taken. I found this article that I'm going to send him along with the nice email. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/health/add-and-adhd-challenge-those-seeking-drivers-license.html?pagewanted=all

ecmst12

I would suggest you get your child medicated for his ADHD before you start teaching him how to drive. I was a VERY bad driver when I first got my license, before I was medicated...and I didn't even get it until I was almost 19. I totalled my first car 3 weeks after I got it. I'm not sure that "maturing" is going to make much difference for him.

I don't think being able to get your permit before 16 is a good thing. They keep raising the age around here, I think now you can't get your permit until 16 and can't take your license test until you've had the permit for at least 6 months. And you can't carry more than 1 passenger even after you get your license until 18. I think the statistics say accidents have gone down.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
16 for a permit here - through a driving school. 17 otherwise. 17 and 6 mos for a provisional license. Then 1 year for a regular license.

TinkerBelleLuvr

In Florida, we can get a permit at 15. You have to carry the permit for a year before getting your driver's license. To get the permit, you must attend a drug and alcohol class and pass the rules book. You must have the permit to take the driver's ed class. It is a graduated license here, so even if they get their license at 16, it is restricted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">