• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Educational guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDSCHM08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I am a divorced mother of two girls, 4 and 7. When I decided to divorce my husband, my youngest daughter was almost a year old. We went to live with his grandmother but it didn't last long so we had to leave. I had to go to a transitional housing shelter so I decided it would be best to let my youngest stay with his parents until I got on my feet. I have been in college since then and I have a stable place to live. Now that she is old enough to be in the public school system I want her to come back with me. I have full custody through the divorce but my ex-in-laws beleive it would be too traumatic for her to come back all at once. I agreed to let her stay there until the beginning of the next school year when she turns 5 and just have her on the weekends to get her used to it. They want me to sign an educational guardianship so she can go to preschool and the doctor there. I feel like they want me to sign over my rights but I don't want to do that. Will this type of guardianship be doing that? My instincts tell me to go and bring her back with me but I don't want to traumatize her. They live an hour and a half away and I do not have a car so I haven't been able to see her as much as I should. She knows who I am but we aren't as close as I would like becuase of the distance and I want to slowly re-introduce her into our lives and then bring her back. The only problem is that they ignore my phone calls, say that she is sick everytime they are supposed to drive here, and leave when I say I am coming. I really need their help becuase I am a full-time student and I have no support from any other family members what so ever. Should I sign the educational guardiaship since I have no intention on letting them have custody? They live in Indiana and I am in Kentucky.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I am a divorced mother of two girls, 4 and 7. When I decided to divorce my husband, my youngest daughter was almost a year old. We went to live with his grandmother but it didn't last long so we had to leave. I had to go to a transitional housing shelter so I decided it would be best to let my youngest stay with his parents until I got on my feet. I have been in college since then and I have a stable place to live. Now that she is old enough to be in the public school system I want her to come back with me. I have full custody through the divorce but my ex-in-laws beleive it would be too traumatic for her to come back all at once. I agreed to let her stay there until the beginning of the next school year when she turns 5 and just have her on the weekends to get her used to it. They want me to sign an educational guardianship so she can go to preschool and the doctor there. I feel like they want me to sign over my rights but I don't want to do that. Will this type of guardianship be doing that? My instincts tell me to go and bring her back with me but I don't want to traumatize her. They live an hour and a half away and I do not have a car so I haven't been able to see her as much as I should. She knows who I am but we aren't as close as I would like becuase of the distance and I want to slowly re-introduce her into our lives and then bring her back. The only problem is that they ignore my phone calls, say that she is sick everytime they are supposed to drive here, and leave when I say I am coming. I really need their help becuase I am a full-time student and I have no support from any other family members what so ever. Should I sign the educational guardiaship since I have no intention on letting them have custody? They live in Indiana and I am in Kentucky.
Well, I certainly wouldn't sign it. It sounds to me like they have no intention of returning the child to you. Its honestly to be expected since the child has lived with them for three years.

Yes, it would be in your child's best interest to transition her to you, because living with her grandparents is all that she remembers. However, you may not have that option. If you take her home with you expect them to file for custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">