• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emergency custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LadyDarkLaw

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My ex husband and I have been in a huge fight over my daughter who is now nine, since she was five. I left the state of michigan almost 3 years ago, having to leave her behind, she has spend every summer with me since I left. We have had many court dates, of which he keeps getting changed. Last year it went from a fight to a war when my daughter told me he was touching her. I have had no contact from her since the end of august last year, I just got a phone call from our adult daughter telling me he has left the state of MI, leaving my 17 year old son, and 9 year old daughter to fend for themself, they are staying at my son's girlfriends house. I would like to know if there is a way to file for temp custody here in CO and go pick her up?

LdiJ

LadyDarkLaw said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

My ex husband and I have been in a huge fight over my daughter who is now nine, since she was five. I left the state of michigan almost 3 years ago, having to leave her behind, she has spend every summer with me since I left. We have had many court dates, of which he keeps getting changed. Last year it went from a fight to a war when my daughter told me he was touching her. I have had no contact from her since the end of august last year, I just got a phone call from our adult daughter telling me he has left the state of MI, leaving my 17 year old son, and 9 year old daughter to fend for themself, they are staying at my son's girlfriends house. I would like to know if there is a way to file for temp custody here in CO and go pick her up?
You absolutely can go get her....she isn't living with dad. Go get her and file for emergency custody. However you need to do it in MI.

rmet4nzkx

Don't forget that you have a minor son also. When you file for custody in MI you will still have to prove that you are a fit parent and that accusations alone will not necessiarly mean that you will gain custody, depending on what your current custody status is. If he gave guardianship to your son's girlfriend's parents

LadyDarkLaw

my son's girlfriend is 18 and has her own place, I just called the court house to see if there was a change in custody, last I heard we had joint, he went to court without me, and because I was not there he got sole custody of her, he did not file anything we he left MI at all, they didn't even know he is gone. The lady at the court house did tell me in MI its not legal for someone under the age of 18 to watch a child for more then 20 hours.
now all I have to do is find a way to get a lawyer in MI to file papers and go get her. As for my 17 year old, he is ordered to stay in the state until he reachs 19, due to some legal trouble he got into, I'm not sure how any of this will effect him if they find out his father has left the state leaving him behind to fend for himself

bononos

Just an observation:
I would think it is legal to leave a minor with someone under 18.
There are 16, 15, 14 yr olds, and as we know, even younger who have "babies" of their own.
They care for them for more than 20 hours.
I'd be freakin over this abandonment of both children.

Whyte Noise

bononos said:
Just an observation:
I would think it is legal to leave a minor with someone under 18.
There are 16, 15, 14 yr olds, and as we know, even younger who have "babies" of their own.
They care for them for more than 20 hours.
I'd be freakin over this abandonment of both children.
"Watching" (babysitting) a child and being the minor parent of a child are 2 different things. This isn't the 17 YO's child, it's his sister. Apparently, it's illegal for someone under 18 to babysit a child for more than 20 straight hours in MI. Being 14 and "watching" your own child isn't the same thing, as you're a parent and not a babysitter.

In any case... the father has effectively abandoned both children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">