• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency custody order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As I stated, he contracted for safety and had no active plan. He agreed to contact his dad when/if he starts having suicidal thoughts again and in the mean time we are trying to get him help. Which is difficult given that his mother refuses to give us his insurance information.

And none of this answers my original question (other than the one individual who answered which state the filing needs to go through).
WRONG idea. Seriously. This is NOT an emergency. What dad needs to do is talk to mom about getting the child into counseling since this is not "urgent". If it were urgent the child should have been at the hospital immediately on Friday. Or sometime during the weekend on an emergency psychiatric admission. But it wasn't. Dad doesn't get to argue now that it is an emergency or urgent -- and neither do you. Dad screwed up. Any modification needs filed in the court that has jurisdiction -- maybe the original court that granted custody. But don't make it seem like you and dad are looking out for this kid more than you want to win custody -- you aren't. The kid should have been at the hospital.

AdoptADog

Just wondering why first thoughts turn to custody and not the health of the child. Insurance info can be provided later.

Suicide hotline... Call 1-800-273-8255

They even do online chat at the link provided above. I lost a very dear friend a year ago to suicide. It isn't a pawn to use in custody matters. Get the child help for crying out loud.

ajkroy

I don't get this "contracted for safety" stuff.

If I had picked him up on Friday, I would have called the suicide prevention line or taken him to the ER.

The kid needs therapy, now. Point fingers later.

CJane

When *MY* child expressed suicidal thoughts, and SEVERAL mandated reporters sat around wondering how that should be taken into account in a custody matter, *I* demanded a court order to get my child into a psych ward NAO. I was willing to sacrifice custody of my child (she was in MO visiting her father, I was in WA) to make sure she got the help she needed.

I don't know what "contracted for safety" means. I also don't believe for one second that a suicidal child is going to call Dad to be talked down.

The child needs to speak with a teacher, a guidance counselor, a coach, or call 911 and express his fears/concerns/ideations.

And none of this has ANYTHING to do with custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">