• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emergency ex parte, can i apply for one?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

I'm still wanting to see the OP's answer to the question of how or what the FDA said.

Why?

Because that's not what the FDA does.

The FDA controls the sale and marketing of prescription and non-prescription drugs - it does NOT govern herbal and/or other supplements. There is no central database (in this country at least - we can ignore the German Monologues for now) which lists the safety and efficacy of herbal supplements. There is no info packet, no list of possible side effects, nothing. No information about dosage amounts. No list of contraindications. Nada. Zilch.

But let's ignore that part for a minute.

Once a drug (be it prescription or not) is approved, the manufacture of the drug is tightly controlled. The packaging must include the following:

1. Indications - the list of conditions that the drug is proven to treat
2. Known side effects
3. Contraindications - how it works (or more importantly, doesn't work) with other drugs
4. Does it become unsafe itself when other drugs are taken?

It also contains dosage information.

So we have that (and please don't ask me to explain what really happens post-marketing as it pertains to side effects and indications.... I haven't had nearly enough caffeine).

Here's the terrifically boring (but ultimately most important) bottom line:

Supplements are considered to be "food". They're treated far differently - they do not require FDA approval, hence there is no control over dosage, efficacy or purity. How then could the FSA give a definitive answer to the question of "Hey, is this safe?".

They don't. It really is THAT simple.

Now I expect OP is going to come back and tell us "Well that's what my doctor told me". But I'll go on the record saying that I believe we all know the reality.

Love,

Your handy dandy ex-clinical trials coordinator.

ETA: OOOOH... NOW I know where OP came up with the OSHA thing! :eek:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'm still wanting to see the OP's answer to the question of how or what the FDA said.

Why?

The FDA controls the sale and marketing of prescription and non-prescription drugs - it does NOT govern herbal and/or other supplements. There is no central database (in this country at least - we can ignore the German Monologues for now) which lists the safety and efficacy of herbal supplements. There is no info packet, no list of possible side effects, nothing. No information about dosage amounts. No list of contraindications. Nada. Zilch.

Once a drug (be it prescription or not) is approved, the manufacture of the drug is tightly controlled. The packaging must include the following:

2. Known side effects
3. Contraindications - how it works (or more importantly, doesn't work) with other drugs

So we have that (and please don't ask me to explain what really happens post-marketing as it pertains to side effects and indications.... I haven't had nearly enough caffeine).

Supplements are considered to be "food". They're treated far differently - they do not require FDA approval, hence there is no control over dosage, efficacy or purity. How then could the FSA give a definitive answer to the question of "Hey, is this safe?".

Now I expect OP is going to come back and tell us "Well that's what my doctor told me". But I'll go on the record saying that I believe we all know the reality.

Love,

Concur.

Signed,
Someone Else Who Has Extensively Dealt With the FDA on a Professional Level. :cool:

TigerD

The other posters have weighed in this supplement nonsense, so I won't beat a dead horse. Personally I think everyone involved with this situation is in need of counseling. Since Mom only has control over herself and the kids, she should set up some counseling for them and herself. The kids are being used as weapons against the other parent. While I concur that there is a lot more going here than we know, I suspect that abusive and controlling behaviors run both ways in this relationship.

Help your kids and get them some help learning how to accept and deal with parents that cannot function like adults around each other.

DC

Just Blue

Why?

2. Known side effects

Love,

Do tell....;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">