• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment dictation in child custody case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gratefuldad2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I recently went to trail for parental rights/custody of my child. The judge created a court order which determined my custody/visitation rights.
The order states;
Plaintiff (that's me) may visit with Cyrus (my son), weekly according to the following schedule:

* a minimum of three days during the week from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm so long as he remains
self-employed.

* in the event that Plaintiff becomes employed by a business with hours similar to that of the Defendant,
in other words, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Mondays through Fridays, Plaintiff shall have visitation as follows

Every other weekend from Friday at 4:30 to return to daycare on Monday morning.

My ? Does a judge have the right to set these schedules based on whether I am employed or self-employed?

Thanks

Ladyback1

I recently went to trail for parental rights/custody of my child. The judge created a court order which determined my custody/visitation rights.
The order states;
Plaintiff (that's me) may visit with Cyrus (my son), weekly according to the following schedule:

* a minimum of three days during the week from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm so long as he remains
self-employed.

* in the event that Plaintiff becomes employed by a business with hours similar to that of the Defendant,
in other words, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Mondays through Fridays, Plaintiff shall have visitation as follows

My ? Does a judge have the right to set these schedules based on whether I am employed or self-employed?

Thanks
Would you rather the judge set a schedule that would clash with your work schedule, and you not get to see your son??

I'm trying really hard to see what exactly you're aiming for, and I'm coming up empty!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

The order states;

self-employed.

Thanks
Short answer: Yes.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not understanding the problem, either. The judge is addressing the possibility of your getting a less flexible schedule, saving you and the other parent another trip to court (with the associated costs). This is bad, because.... Why?

tuffbrk

I'm confused. Your self-employment - do you perform your tasks in the evening? Or are you expected to take your child only during your working hours and essentially... ignore them while you're working? Is there a reason you're not being given any overnight visitation unless you obtain a position working for someone else? Do you work from a home office or are you out on job sites? How old is the child? The schedule doesn't make sense to me at all. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Regardless, The Geekess already advised the judge can establish a schedule.

Just Blue

The order states;

self-employed.

Thanks
What is your issue wit this, IMO, well thought out plan that Judge gave you. Judge actually made it possible for YOU to not have to wait for another court date in the event your employment situation changed.

CJane

I'm guessing that the judge made a schedule that 1) provides Dad with lots of time with the child during Mom's working hours, and 2) works with HIS working hours and 3) saves BOTH parties some daycare costs.

However, should Dad get a job during which the current schedule would make it impossible for him to spend time with the child, then the schedule will change so that he has some night/weekend time.

Like many others, I'm not seeing the problem.

AngelinaD13

The order states;

self-employed.

Thanks

The judge has every right to do whatever he wants.. If he says no visitation then you get no visitation... If he says you get a "employed schedule" visitation than thats what you get.. When you are "self-employed" you can create your own hours... so you can control when you have time to see your son Cyrus... When you go and work for someone else you dont really get the choice as to what you work... So the judge adjusting your time from 3 days a weeek from 8-430 to switching it to every other weekend is actually just putting you on a normal visitation schedule... Fathers who normally have a custody agreement get every other weekend (usually 6pm friday night to 6pm sunday night) and one night during the week for a few hours if possible. So by granting you every other weekend because you work isnt something that is really too questionable....?

Silverplum

Please don't start "advising." You just started asking questions: you are in no position to advise.

The judge has every right to do whatever he wants.. If he says no visitation then you get no visitation... If he says you get a "employed schedule" visitation than thats what you get.. When you are "self-employed" you can create your own hours... so you can control when you have time to see your son Cyrus... When you go and work for someone else you dont really get the choice as to what you work... So the judge adjusting your time from 3 days a weeek from 8-430 to switching it to every other weekend is actually just putting you on a normal visitation schedule... Fathers who normally have a custody agreement get every other weekend (usually 6pm friday night to 6pm sunday night) and one night during the week for a few hours if possible. So by granting you every other weekend because you work isnt something that is really too questionable....?
You're 100% incorrect about the judge.

Silverplum

angelina's PM to me:
who are you to say who is allowed to advise and who isn't?
Just like on my post there are people who post THEIR views to help the situation.. i am giving my point of view on things i have personally dealt with... ways that can help... so unless you are the advice-dictator i dont know where you feel you have grounds to say who can post and who cant post...

Well, young poster, I am one of the senior members here and I provide valid advice to posters in need of help. You are new, know nothing of the law, and are messing around in threads belonging to other people who need help. That's not how you were treated, and that's not how we will let you treat others.

Don't bother me again with your silly guesses and pushy little private messages. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There is actually a lot wrong with this post of yours...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">