• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcement of decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kevinsmom

What is the name of your state? Texas

My ex husband and his new wife break the divorce decree and the childrens bill of rights on a regular basis. How do I document this when alot of it is he said she said type things and how do i get him to comply. Me and my husband almost live week to week while my ex and his wife come from well to do familys. What can we do if we dont have money for a lawyer.
Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters, the Children's Bill of Rights, nice and touchy feely as it is, is bogus when it comes to legalities. It has no standing and you're not going to be able to enforce any of it. So you may as well just forget about it.

Other documentation. Texas is a one party state, which means that you can tape conversations you have with your ex. Any emails can be useful in documenting issues. If comments are made at p/u or d/o - you can have a third party present and/or videotape it. Once you have enough to show a pattern, you can file contempt.

In all honesty, you'd be best having legal representation. See where you can cut back and put away what you can while you build up your docs. Good luck.

L

LoveOfAStep

What exactly does "break the divorce decree" mean? Is there CO visitation?

F

FJ1200guy

Stealth

I can ask this in a new post if you prefer, but since it was mentioned...
What is a "one party state"? I've seen this mentioned before...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Lyle... "one party state" refers to what a state permits when it comes to taping phone conversations, etc. In a one party state, it is legal to tape if at least one party is aware of the taping and consents to it (it cannot be a minor). In a two party state, all parties must be aware of the taping.

Even then, such tapes are not always admissible as evidence - a lot depends on the discretion of the judge.

haiku

It would be helpful to know first, what your divorce decree says, and what you feel is not be honored on it. And, unless this "childrens bill of rights" you speak of is part of the divorce decree, it may or may not have any bearing for your possible case, whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">