• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

enforcing return on time visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

staceel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North dakota
I have joint custody with primary physical custody of 3 kids ages 5,4 and 2. We went to a mediator for the divorce and agreed on reasonable visitation and had a default agreement if that didnt work. The default agreement stated he recieved him every other weekend from friday after school to monday morning with one midweek visit up to 4 hours on the weekend he has the kids and 2 midweek visits on the weeks he doesnt have the kids. My ex is unable to comprimise and things have to be his way so the reasonable visits set up between us have not worked. The last one he wanted to try was having them from thursday to friday evening on the weeks he doesnt have them on the weekends and thursday to sunday on the weekend he does have them. When this schedule didnt work he just kept them anyways. He also had changed the pick up time 2 other times in the past by a day or two and numerous times by hours. I told him we were going to have to go to the default agreement and gave him the kids thursday night. His girlfriend picked them up and i was suppose to pick them up later that evening. He calls and tells me he is keeping them until friday at 630pm. I have a lawyer but she thinks the judge will be mad because we are suppose to work this out ourselves and i would look bad because i am a little bitter. My ex has serious control issues and my kids are worried now that their dad is going to keep them, which he ends doing
what can i do
thanks

seniorjudge

I have a lawyer but she thinks the judge will be mad because we are suppose to work this out ourselves and i would look bad because i am a little bitter.

I agree with your lawyer.

Silverplum

I agree with your lawyer.
So do I.

Think about it: this is your attorney's JOB. S/he knows the Judge/s in your area, and the Judge in your particular case. Part of what you are paying for is the attorney's expert opinion.

You're going to have the same Judge throughout your childrens' minority, barring death. I'd make it a point to not piss off my Judge.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
so how do you work with someone who only does things his way.
Well by realizing that is NOT true. If he did things ONLY his way he would just keep the children permanently and you would NEVER see them.

Get over this being about YOU and HIM. It is not and never will be. It is about the children. And why would children be terrified that their father is going to have them? What has been put into their heads?

staceel

i have suggested mediation and also co parenting counceling to my ex. We communicate through email and he just ignores it and doesnt respond. I get along with his girlfriend and he had her arrange visitation which went well until he decided to start changing the return times in the middle of the visit. He also started giving her a bad time about how we got along.

staceel

i completely understand that this is about the kids. If it just made my life difficult i would deal with it. My kids are not terrified of their father but they want to know when they are going and coming back. Even at the age of 4 and 5 they do realize when its suppose to be a overnight visit and a evening visit. I also spend time with them telling them the fun things and who they are going to see and do at the visit because i do talk to my ex's girlfriend.

Keep a clear and concise log of conversations with ex- what was agreed upon and then what he does as far as returning the child. Turn this in to a judge and explain that he is not adhereing to the agreement. He should be the one in trouble, not you.

LdiJ

Keep a clear and concise log of conversations with ex- what was agreed upon and then what he does as far as returning the child. Turn this in to a judge and explain that he is not adhereing to the agreement. He should be the one in trouble, not you.
I agree. You have an "as agreed" order with a default order to use if you cannot agree.

Dad is violating things right and left. I think that you should insist on sticking to the default order and take him back to court for contempt, if he refuses to honor the default orders.

staceel

i started a log recently, how many times does he have to do this before i take it to the judge? So far he has changed the pickup time 3 times this month.
Also if i take this to the judge would he be able to get my 2 and 4 y/o olds blankets back. I always sent them with the kids and about a month ago he refused to return them with the kids

Silverplum

i started a log recently, how many times does he have to do this before i take it to the judge? So far he has changed the pickup time 3 times this month.
Also if i take this to the judge would he be able to get my 2 and 4 y/o olds blankets back. I always sent them with the kids and about a month ago he refused to return them with the kids
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LISTEN TO YOUR ATTORNEY.

Blankets. For Pete's sake. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">