• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evicting an adult child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mddad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have an 18 yo adopted son. He is on probation, he refuses to attend school and is unwilling to work. I have been through endless legal issues with him. I can no longer have him remain in my home. How can I have him removed from my home?

ecmst12

That would be illegal. You must serve him 30 days written notice to move, then proceed to file for eviction with the court before you can have him legally removed.

dlw99

Why is he on probation?

Is he violent? Is he dealing drugs?

There may be quicker legal options to having him removed if he's posing a threat to your safety.

mddad

evicting an adult child follow up

He is not violent. How do I file an eviction order in Maryland?

momofrose

Can I ask why you found it necessary to describe him as your "adopted" son rather than just "son"? That's a bit telling (to me).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have an 18 yo adopted son. He is on probation, he refuses to attend school and is unwilling to work. I have been through endless legal issues with him. I can no longer have him remain in my home. How can I have him removed from my home?
What does his mother have to say?

nextwife

Can I ask why you found it necessary to describe him as your "adopted" son rather than just "son"? That's a bit telling (to me).
Agreed. Adoption is a process to become a family. It is not an ongoing state - once adoption is completed, they are simply our child.

ecmst12

You can't file the eviction until you've given the 30 day notice AND the 30 days has passed without him moving.

mddad

I mentioned that he was adopted only because there might have been legal issues. I love my son. I am single parent and adopted him as a single parent. He has four brothers and a biological father who he refers to as "dad". I have let him visit two of his brothers who I am certain are encouraging him to act out.

His biological mother has remarried and is developmentally delayed.

dlw99

While they can't give you legal advice, they can give you forms and give you general procedural advice at your district court. I'd start there. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">