• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex doesn't follow any court orders!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EmmazMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I am inquiring as to what to do about my ex and our custody agreeement. We have shared custody with me (Mom) as the custodial parent. I have taken my ex to court on prior matters resulting from him disobeying court orders but the attorneys had a field day and I ended up more broke than I was when we divorced. Now, I'm told by every law enforcement agency around where I live that they can do nothing about him keeping my child from me against our visitation arrangements. He has kept her for 10 days without adequate notice and is now refusing to let me take her on a Christmas vacation. I have followed the court order, giving him more than 30 days written notice and he refuses to give her to me and says "good luck getting her". He keeps her whenever he wants and unless I want to go broke again in court, it appears there's nothing I can do. What's the purpose of court orders if they can't be enforced?

Proserpina

I am inquiring as to what to do about my ex and our custody agreeement. We have shared custody with me (Mom) as the custodial parent. I have taken my ex to court on prior matters resulting from him disobeying court orders but the attorneys had a field day and I ended up more broke than I was when we divorced.

What exactly does your visitation order say? About holidays, notice, etc.

Banned_Princess

I'm sure you can file with your court without a lawyer.

The police can do nothing but provide you with a police report about the refusal of access, and you can bring that to court to file for contempt.

Court orders of this kind, have to be enforced in court.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am inquiring as to what to do about my ex and our custody agreeement. We have shared custody with me (Mom) as the custodial parent. I have taken my ex to court on prior matters resulting from him disobeying court orders but the attorneys had a field day and I ended up more broke than I was when we divorced. Now, I'm told by every law enforcement agency around where I live that they can do nothing about him keeping my child from me against our visitation arrangements. He has kept her for 10 days without adequate notice and is now refusing to let me take her on a Christmas vacation. I have followed the court order, giving him more than 30 days written notice and he refuses to give her to me and says "good luck getting her". He keeps her whenever he wants and unless I want to go broke again in court, it appears there's nothing I can do. What's the purpose of court orders if they can't be enforced?
If you are the custodial parent how is he refusing to let you take her on a Christmas vacation? Where do you want to go? Does your court order require his PERMISSION or just that you give notice? Why haven't you filed pro se?

TinkerBelleLuvr

probably vacation will trump part of dad's parenting time - hence requiring his permission to give up his time.

What bone have you thrown to dad that might make him willing to give up HIS court ordered time?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
probably vacation will trump part of dad's parenting time - hence requiring his permission to give up his time.

What bone have you thrown to dad that might make him willing to give up HIS court ordered time?
Not necessarily. I can name quite a few counties in Ohio that split Christmas break in half and that trumps NORMAL time so mom could go away a week without interfering with dad's time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">