• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex has disappeared, would like to file for custody, but he has custody in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

broad007

Ex has disappeared,left son with me, he has custody, would like to get custody

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My ex and I have a custody agreement in place from 1999 in Texas. I have custody of our younger son, and he the older. September 2004 my ex contacted me and asked me to take the older for a while, he wasn’t sure how long. In May2005 he then called and told me to go ahead and file for custody of our older son. I lived in ****land at the time, so I contacted attorney and got the paperwork started. In June 2005 my ex told me that he changed his mind, and he was coming to get our son once school was over. Well, he did pick him up, had him for two weeks, then sent him to his mother in Texas. ( My ex resided in Florida then). In July ’05 he then called and said that I would need to take him, that his job he was supposed to get didn’t pan out. I met him in Virginia, and haven’t heard from him since. I just learned this past week from his father and mother that he had been very irresponsible, my ex was always out partying, never home, always had our son at the sitters, and when he did go to work, he worked nights, he made our son sleep on the floor. Our son had missed several days of school and was constantly tardy. I would like to get custody, but don’t know where to file. I moved to Pennsylvania 2 months ago. I can provide a stable environment for our son, he is attending school everyday and isn’t tardy. Our son doesn’t have health coverage, my insurance won’t add him because it states in the custody papers that my ex is responsible for coverage, and, since he isn’t working, you can guess how that is. In the meantime, no one, not even his family, have heard from him since this past July. His parents are both urging me to file for custody, and they said they would sign any type of statement saying so. They have told me that he has been very irresponsible, and is not able to provide a stable environment for our son. I feel the same. Please help me, I’m not sure what to do. I don’t have a lot of money right now, we just purchased a new home, and a lot of it went into the down payment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Zephyr

you could file for temp orders stating that the child is in you custody and how long it's been and that you are unable to locate dad

LdiJ

Zephyr said:
you could file for temp orders stating that the child is in you custody and how long it's been and that you are unable to locate dad
She is really asking about WHERE to file. It may be possible for a PA judge to make orders on this issue, even though technically PA probably wouldn't have jurisdiction. The fact that dad is no where to be found might be reason enough to convince a PA judge to do so.

Get yourself a consult with a local attorney.

broad007

Hiring an attorney

Is filing for temporary custody something I would definitely need an attorney for, or is it just paperwork to fill out at the courthouse? We don't have a lot of money for an attorney, and I wouldn't want to waste their time by getting them involved if I can't afford the fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">