• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX~ has had NO CONTACT for one year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweettea

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My ex has had no contact at all for one year this week. It states in my decree that after 1 year I have the right to proceed to have his parental rights revolked. He has been paying child support every month. my question is this concidered abandoment? will a judge grant me a judgement based only that he has not contacted his kids for a year even though he has paid his CS? and when do I stop waiting for him to contact me to see his kids and go on with our lives with vacation plans etc..
Thanks

ceara19

sweettea said:
My ex has had no contact at all for one year this week. It states in my decree that after 1 year I have the right to proceed to have his parental rights revolked. He has been paying child support every month. my question is this concidered abandoment? will a judge grant me a judgement based only that he has not contacted his kids for a year even though he has paid his CS? and when do I stop waiting for him to contact me to see his kids and go on with our lives with vacation plans etc..
Thanks
Child support is usually seen as contact, so it is very doubtful that a judge will terminate his rights. You can ask to modify the order so that he will have to call you no less than 48 hours before he wants to exercise his visitation rights.

N

nicetryadmin

sweettea said:
Thanks
Ummm...after "one year" of WHAT?!!?! Using the same shampoo? Drinking diet, caffeine-free instead of just diet?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And of course you realize that, when you TPR, you kiss the support check adios-a-bye-bye, right?

N

nicetryadmin

stealth2 said:
And of course you realize that, when you TPR, you kiss the support check adios-a-bye-bye, right?
Wha...wha...WHAAAT??!! ;)

amanning

nicetryadmin - after one year of no contact
(How does that relate to shampoo & soda, ???)
pick pick pick pick :rolleyes:

"termination of parental rights" = no child support.

I agree with ceara19. If I were a judge, I would consider the fact that he is paying his CS that would be contact. (Sorry :( )

Everyone will probably slam me for saying this... go ahead.

My attorney told me a while back that if the NCP doesn't exercise their rights, "most people just go on with their lives". I have found with experiences with my X, it been hard to hold him in "contempt" for things such as not providing info as stated in decree, back pay, medical support.....etc... he just always got a slap on the wrist (ok, we'll let you slide THIS time) or the opportunity to divide it into "payments". NEVER put in jail. Most judges are very understanding of "real world" circumstances. If you do ever go back to court, I would go ahead and modify the order to state extended notice for visitation, or do it now if it makes you feel more comfortable....but sometimes doing that kind of stuff just stirs up the pot for more headaches.
Just something to think about. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

MrsK

If he pays support, you will be very VERY unlikely to get his rights terminated. Good try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">