• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex has not seen our son in over a year?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My ex had petitioned the court for joint custody of our son after I filed for child support a few years ago. When the visitation first started (he got every other weekend and alternating holiday) everything went well. His wife had just had a son and they wanted our son to get to know the new baby. Time passes by and the visits become less and less frequent- most of the time I would not get a phone call or text until five minutes before pickup.. (Having to explain to a toddler why they aren't going to 'go-go with Daddy' is the hardest thing I will ever have to do).. and eventually the visits just stopped. Even when he was getting him for visitation he would never call him on holidays or check up on him- and now it has been literally over a year since he has taken our son for visitation, let alone spoken to him. My ex just had another child and when he was dropping of child support one of the last few times.. the reasoning he gave me for not picking up our son was, "Oh, well.. he just didn't get along with my other son". Every once in a while he will tell me that his wife wants to get our son for a weekend and that he will get in touch with me... and never happens.

My question is... When time comes for him to pick our son up (and he actually goes it).. would I have any legal ground to request some kind of readjustment period? It's been over a year and our son barely even knows his father now.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My ex had petitioned the court for joint custody of our son after I filed for child support a few years ago. When the visitation first started (he got every other weekend and alternating holiday) everything went well. His wife had just had a son and they wanted our son to get to know the new baby. Time passes by and the visits become less and less frequent- most of the time I would not get a phone call or text until five minutes before pickup.. (Having to explain to a toddler why they aren't going to 'go-go with Daddy' is the hardest thing I will ever have to do).. and eventually the visits just stopped. Even when he was getting him for visitation he would never call him on holidays or check up on him- and now it has been literally over a year since he has taken our son for visitation, let alone spoken to him. My ex just had another child and when he was dropping of child support one of the last few times.. the reasoning he gave me for not picking up our son was, "Oh, well.. he just didn't get along with my other son". Every once in a while he will tell me that his wife wants to get our son for a weekend and that he will get in touch with me... and never happens.

My question is... When time comes for him to pick our son up (and he actually goes it).. would I have any legal ground to request some kind of readjustment period? It's been over a year and our son barely even knows his father now.
It's not unreasonable to request a reintroduction period but you should consider actually filing for that before he comes in out of nowhere.

I'mTheFather

It's not unreasonable to request a reintroduction period but you should consider actually filing for that before he comes in out of nowhere.
I agree, and this is pretty much the same advice OP was given nearly a year ago.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/ex-wants-joint-custody-child-he-has-only-willingly-seen-twice-594881-p9.html

How often does he drop off the child support? Weekly? Monthly?

I agree, and this is pretty much the same advice OP was given nearly a year ago.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/ex-wants-joint-custody-child-he-has-only-willingly-seen-twice-594881-p9.html

How often does he drop off the child support? Weekly? Monthly?

He is supposed to pay it weekly but chooses to pay it monthly. I was going to go to child support services and just have them collect it (he tends to be very hateful and demeaning when he drops it off, waits until midnight most times to drop it off, etc) but I need the new birth certificate for our son. For whatever reason the judge took almost 7 months after the finished court documents were prepared and signed by us to sign it himself (I don't know how long it usually takes) and the birth certificate still is not changed. My assumption is the father has not signed it yet? But until I get the changed one, I was informed I cannot file a case with child support services here.

Given that we do have a custody agreement decided on by the courts- the reason I am asking NOW is because I do not know anything about reevaluation or if it is possible for me to ask for any changes.

Heather1981

You are totally going through what have went through! My ex husband went over two years without seeing our two sons... He was going by our court hearing for a little bit.. Then moved out of State... Went out partying... Went to jail... Then stopped paying his support... Then when he decided he was gonna move back to state he just pops up out of no where and says he wants his boys! I said NO! I told him I will see you in court.. Haha..I waited till he took me so HE had to pay... PLUS he was DENIED and judged Told HIM it was ALL HIS FAULT pretty much he was a piece of crap.. Cause he blamed me that I didn't allow him to see them.. Lol.. but anyway... We went back AGAIN..(made him pay) and we made another agreement... But if he screw's up THIS TIME... I WILL GO BACK AND HE WILL BE SCREWED! and with the WHOLE child support situation... I'm not sure what state your in.. But I'm in PA and domestics will help you with all that... if he had a job they take right out of check... He shouldn't be showing up at your house at midnight! I don't know exactly what you mean about the birth certificate. I wish you lots of luck!!

Just Blue

You are totally going through what have went through! My ex husband went over two years without seeing our two sons... He was going by our court hearing for a little bit.. Then moved out of State... Went out partying... Went to jail... Then stopped paying his support... Then when he decided he was gonna move back to state he just pops up out of no where and says he wants his boys! I said NO! I told him I will see you in court.. Haha..I waited till he took me so HE had to pay... PLUS he was DENIED and judged Told HIM it was ALL HIS FAULT pretty much he was a piece of crap.. Cause he blamed me that I didn't allow him to see them.. Lol.. but anyway... We went back AGAIN..(made him pay) and we made another agreement... But if he screw's up THIS TIME... I WILL GO BACK AND HE WILL BE SCREWED! and with the WHOLE child support situation... I'm not sure what state your in.. But I'm in PA and domestics will help you with all that... if he had a job they take right out of check... He shouldn't be showing up at your house at midnight! I don't know exactly what you mean about the birth certificate. I wish you lots of luck!!
OP has not been back for over a month. And if she does view this hopefully she will see it for the nutty, bitter and crazy post it is. Get some mental assistance Heather1981.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Aren't you just a peach of a Mommy. Or not.

Proserpina

Oh Heather dear, you appear to have forgotten how to tell the truth.

Would you like to try again?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">