• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex husband-new husband child support issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suzanne6464

I own a home with my ex-husband. I live in the home with our 3 children, My New Husband and our 2 children.
My ex husband (the father of the first 3 children) is out of work on workmans compensation for the past 4 years, He had an injury at work and has a pending lawsuit so he says hes unable to work again. He pays a lousy 100.00 a week for his 3 children.
My New husband and I live in the home. I dont work. My new husband supports all 5 children and myself. Even when it comes time for clothes etc. My husband pays for everything for his stepchildren. I didnt know that a stepparent was obligated to support his wifes children from a previous marriage, although i dont work . Meanwhile my ex husband who claims hes broke, drives around in a 2001 ford truck and takes vacations every summer to California with his girlfriend. I know he has money somewhere, My son told me that he saw his fathers checking account receipt and he has 10,000 in the bank. Im lost on what to do. I dont think its fair that my husband pays for everything.

haiku

when was the last time you went for a modification for child support? you can usually do it yourself at low cost.

E

Esimon1

The thought occured to me that maybe the girlfriend supports your ex. If so, like it or not, she can do whatever she wants with her money. It could also be that ex took out a loan of some kind too. Whatever the case may be, if you two were still married, would you be as upset that he got injured at work? Probably not. The two of you would probably do what you could to raise the kids. Lord forbid, what if your current husband got injured? Would you be upset with him? My guess is that you would go out and find work to support the household. I'm not saying that it's right if he's not paying any CS, but at least you get something.

E

Esimon1

another thing...
Why is your son looking through dad's checking account? Is he doing this for you? I hope not.

G

Grandma B

Suzanne6464 said:
I own a home with my ex-husband. I live in the home with our 3 children, My New Husband and our 2 children.
My ex husband (the father of the first 3 children) is out of work on workmans compensation for the past 4 years, He had an injury at work and has a pending lawsuit so he says hes unable to work again. He pays a lousy 100.00 a week for his 3 children.
My New husband and I live in the home. I dont work. My new husband supports all 5 children and myself. Even when it comes time for clothes etc. My husband pays for everything for his stepchildren. I didnt know that a stepparent was obligated to support his wifes children from a previous marriage, although i dont work . Meanwhile my ex husband who claims hes broke, drives around in a 2001 ford truck and takes vacations every summer to California with his girlfriend. I know he has money somewhere, My son told me that he saw his fathers checking account receipt and he has 10,000 in the bank. Im lost on what to do. I dont think its fair that my husband pays for everything.
First, it is the obligation of BOTH parents to support their children. Your ex may only pay a "lousy" $100/week child support, but, on the other hand, you don't work. Your new husband does not totally support the children of you and the ex. What he contributes is YOUR share of their support.

As long as your ex is paying his court-ordered support, neither his net worth nor the vehicle he drives, should be of any concern to you. If you feel his support as ordered does not fit the guidelines of your state (which, by the way, you didn't mention), file for a modification.

H

hound dog

great reponse grandma B I was wondering when someone was going to point out that she did not work by choice I'm sure. Atleast he is giving 100.00 a week you are not contributing financially at all so why are you complaining if it is as hard for your husband to feed and clothe the kids as you say it is then go get a job!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">