• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex and new girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christa31

Ex husband has new girlfriend with 2 children, our 10 yr old daughter does not want to be be around her. She has made this very clear, my ex is almost in my opion brainwashing our daugher into liking her. I have tried talking to him but he refuses to listen. What can I do?? Mad in Pennslyvannia

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Ex husband has new girlfriend with 2 children, our 10 yr old daughter does not want to be be around her. She has made this very clear, my ex is almost in my opion brainwashing our daugher into liking her. I have tried talking to him but he refuses to listen. What can I do??

Answer anywhere in the world: tell the kid things are tough all over .... nothing you can do about it.:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Quite frankly who is the adult? The daughter doesn't have to LIKE the girlfriend HOWEVER she does have to go see daddy for his visitation and she doesn't get to stay home NOR do you get to talk to ex and tell him she is staying home. The child is a CHILD and needs to abide and respect both of her parents. And YOU need to butt out of your ex's business.

CJane

So, 10 year old princess doesn't like Daddy's girlfriend and his efforts to foster a relationship between the GF and HIS child are considered by you to be brainwashing?

What do you WANT to do/accomplish? Do you want your child to learn that if she stamps her feet hard enough, SHE gets to make the decisions in her life? Or do you want her to learn that we should be polite, even to people we don't necessarily like very much because it's the right thing to do?

christa31

Guess I should have put in other factors, since father has been dating this woman, he has gottena DUI and drinking and nights out have become more frequent. This woman does not have custody of her own 2 children due to alcohol issues. I know this woman on a personal basis as her children used to attend the same school as mine. I have no issues with her othan than the alcohol. I guess my question is do I bring this up to my lawyer or just have my daughter "deal" with it. I don't feel comfotable sending her to her father's if she is going to feel uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with that.

CJane

I guess my question is do I bring this up to my lawyer or just have my daughter "deal" with it.
Your daughter is going to have to learn to deal with it. Honestly.

I don't feel comfotable sending her to her father's if she is going to feel uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with that.
And no, there's nothing wrong with not being comfortable with it... but that doesn't change the fact that she has to go and it's probably in her best interests to learn to cope w/it so she's not a snot at her dad's house.

My kids don't always like to go to their Dad's house... for all I know, they don't always like to come home to mine... and they aren't allowed to believe there are options.

Give this some thought though... sometimes tweens make the new GF/wife out to be the wicked step-mother out of loyalty to mommy... and she's not really as bad or they're not really as unhappy at the Dad's house as they'd have YOU believe because they are under the impression/delusion that YOU want them to dislike this 'interloper'.

How's about YOU explain to your child that if Daddy loves her, she can't be all bad.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Guess I should have put in other factors, since father has been dating this woman, he has gottena DUI
Were the kids with him?
and drinking and nights out have become more frequent.
And? How often does he have the children?

This woman does not have custody of her own 2 children due to alcohol issues.
And you know the exact facts of this because?
I know this woman on a personal basis as her children used to attend the same school as mine.
That still doesn't mean you know the facts of why she does not have custody.

I have no issues with her othan than the alcohol.
That is YOUR issue then. Which you have visited upon your daughter.

I guess my question is do I bring this up to my lawyer or just have my daughter "deal" with it. I don't feel comfotable sending her to her father's if she is going to feel uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with that.
There is something wrong with that if you are conveying your discomfort to Princess and you are saying you are not going to send her to her OR you just aren't sending her. You have a court order that must be followed. And I bet the court order doesn't say you don't have to follow it even if you are not comfortable with it.

casa

Guess I should have put in other factors, since father has been dating this woman, he has gottena DUI and drinking and nights out have become more frequent. This woman does not have custody of her own 2 children due to alcohol issues. I know this woman on a personal basis as her children used to attend the same school as mine. I have no issues with her othan than the alcohol. I guess my question is do I bring this up to my lawyer or just have my daughter "deal" with it. I don't feel comfotable sending her to her father's if she is going to feel uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with that.
You need to answer what state you live in...because the Laws vary from state to state.

A DUI won't, in of itself, result in any restriction to your X's visitation (if the kids were in the car, then you'd be able to prevent him from legally driving with the children- but it still would not necessarily limit/end his visitation altogether).

I'm concerned that you think Dad is 'brainwashing' the child...simply because he wants his partner & his child to get along. I think EVERY parent wants their chidren to get along with their Significant Other(s). :cool:

Most important, there IS something wrong with that. It's called Contempt of Court. You are in Contempt of the Court Order at ANY time you do not provide the child for Dad's Court Ordered parenting/visitation time.

A 10 yr old is old enough to know she won't always like all her classmates or neighbors or teachers either...but that doesn't mean she doesn't have to learn to co-exist with them. This is a good opportunity for a life lesson *IMO*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">