• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex not giving daughter her meds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmsmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

Hi, i need some advice. I have a 12 yr old Autistic daughter that i have shared custody with my ex. I am the primary parent and she lives with me. She went to visit her dad for 9 days during holiday break and he did not give her her meds. She is on 3 different meds and takes 8 pills a day along with a liquid med twice daily by teaspoon. She CANNOT take her own meds. She lives in her own little world and this is pure neglect on his part. Some of these meds cause severe withdrawl effects if you completely stop them without weaning first. She also wears glasses for her poor eyesight and her father does not make her put them on while she is with him. She went all week without wearing her glasses as well.

I live in another state and the state where my ex lives has jurisdiction over our case. Should i hire an attorney where i live and move the case here where i am and petition the court to modify his visits to no overnights if he cannot be responsible enough to give her her meds. This could cause her great harm. Seems like i should be able to do something about this?

Last edited:

mmsmom

She came back with the same exact amount of meds i sent with her. She did not have her glasses on when she got out of his vehicle. They were packed in her suitcase. My youngest daughter who was also with her told me that she had not worn them all week long!

Proserpina

He will not respond to my phone calls, emails or text messages concerning the matter.
How often have you tried to contact him about it?

Has this happened on more than one occasion?

Is Dad actually truly aware of his daughter's condition and that she does in fact NEED to take these meds?

haiku

What has happened in the past with these meds. Is Dad involved and aware of your daughters treatment plan?

mmsmom

Yes, he is aware. I email him or tell him by phone message every time there is a change in her meds etc. She had previously only been on one med and had the other two added about 3 mos ago. She visited him over thanksgiving as well with all three meds and i had sent all three full bottles and instructed him when he picked her up on how to administer them. But, when she got home..i noticed the bottles still seemed full. So, this visit..i counted out the exact meds she needed for the 9 days she was with him and she came home with the same amount of meds she left with. I did not notice this untill i unpacked her suticase and found the meds and the eye glasses packed away. Like i said...he does not respond to my calls etc. and never has.

ecmst12

Should i hire an attorney where i live and move the case here where i am and petition the court to modify his visits to no overnights if he cannot be responsible enough to give her her meds.
This sounds like the best idea to me.

janM

This sounds like the best idea to me.
Not if jurisdiction is still in Dad's area and he still lives there:

I live in another state and the state where my ex lives has jurisdiction over our case.
I believe she will have to file in his state.

OP, you may have to have her doctor testify that she will be harmed by dad not giving them to her.

gr8rn

What was her behavior like when she came home? Just as you have stated, being taken off some behavioral meds cold turkey should have caused great problems at his home as well.

He needs to communicate with you especially with an autistic child.

I would consult with her doctor about this and ask him for some help in getting Dad on board. This type of non compliance is very dangerous for a child with autism.

ecmst12

If the CHILD has lived in the other state for a long time, that could be grounds to change the venue. Something to talk to the lawyer about.

mmsmom

We have lived in LA for 1 1/2 yrs and FL has jurisdiction where he still resides. Her teacher called this morning with concerns of her being very sleepy and eyes rolling back in her head and not responding to them. All she wanted to do was lay her head down on her desk. It is documented in writing. Also, she has OCD and scratches herself till she bleeds and she had sores when she came back from her vist. This problem is one of the many reasons she is on meds to combat this. I am awaiting the doctor to call me back to go over everything and to document this as well. I'm not sure how he will be able to get her dad to comply since he will not communicate with me or any of her teachers, doctors etc.

Last edited:

Silverplum

If the CHILD has lived in the other state for a long time, that could be grounds to change the venue. Something to talk to the lawyer about.
News to me. News to everyone, I believe. ;)

Jurisdiction remains in the original state IF one parent still lives there.

ecmst12

Ok, thank you for the education :)

Shouldn't be too hard to find a lawyer in LA who is also licensed to practice in FL though, so she won't have to get a long-distance lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">