• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex in rehab. for one yr.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

supermom1

What is the name of your state? GA

My ex-husband has consistently been in and out rehab. and jail, particularly over the past year. In fact, he has just recently been mandated to serve a minimum of one year in yet another rehab. center. Because of his problems his child support payments are more than a year in arrears. (Please let me say, though, that his loving parents have graciously paid ALL of his other bills during the times he has been unable to work and even now. They have also put his truck and land in their name so that it cannot be repossessed.) Anyway, he obviously cannot work to pay for his child now, and when he is released he will owe almost $10,000. Realistically, I know that is a large sum of money to pay, and he may always be owing. However, what can I do to prevent that? He's only ever worked for "under-the-table" money. So trying to collect social security or tax refunds is out of the question. I feel like I've done everything possible. Abandonment warrants have been filed, but each time he's been locked up, he's been released because his last name means more than mine in this small county. I want to sue the county for failing to justly serve my son and me, and I want to sue his parents since they are paying all of his other bills. Suggestions or advice???

VeronicaGia

You cannot sue his parents as they are not legally liable for support.

He could ask the court to stop his support payments all together if he is in jail, but if he doesn't, he'll owe you for that time. Some states allow it, some don't.

Your only option is to keep filing contempt charges...if he is in jail he cannot pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">