• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants to change kids school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjcirr72

File a motion to show cause then.
I talked to the principles office.
She told them it was a long time coming because they lived with her more & I not only knew about it but agree'd to it.
so she out right lied to the school

School has ZERO court documents.
If I give them a stamped copy of the divorce agreement that states they live with me during the school year they will stop the withdrawal & not send the paperwork to the new school until they get a new document stating some address change.
She can't do that without taking me to court I believe.

I also need to send a copy to the school that i'm sure she has already registered them with.

just in case, I am going to the court house today.
I will file whatever I need to to make sure this doesn't happen.

I said she couldn't be trusted.
I have no doubt in my mind that should she get residency she will start playing games & do whatever she can to limit my time with them whether it goes against the 50/50 agreement or not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why did their school not have that paperwork already? Especially if "she can't be trusted"?

LdiJ

I talked to the principles office.
She told them it was a long time coming because they lived with her more & I not only knew about it but agree'd to it.
so she out right lied to the school

School has ZERO court documents.
If I give them a stamped copy of the divorce agreement that states they live with me during the school year they will stop the withdrawal & not send the paperwork to the new school until they get a new document stating some address change.
She can't do that without taking me to court I believe.

I also need to send a copy to the school that i'm sure she has already registered them with.

just in case, I am going to the court house today.
I will file whatever I need to to make sure this doesn't happen.

I said she couldn't be trusted.
I have no doubt in my mind that should she get residency she will start playing games & do whatever she can to limit my time with them whether it goes against the 50/50 agreement or not.
Do understand one thing however dad...

You can and should file a motion for contempt. However, mom is also likely to file a countermotion to change the children's school. If mom can prove to the judge that the schools are equal, and/or the one she wants them to attend is better, plus prove that the transportation would be much more convenient for everyone (which you have already admitted that it is), and can prove that a true 50/50 schedule is more feasible with the children going to the school in mom's district (which you have also already admitted that it is) then its quite possible that the judge will rule that the children can attend school in mom's district.

Now, that does NOT mean that residential custody has to change, nor does it mean that mom can then relocate the children without your permission. It would just mean that the school would change.

Also if you are the one that has every other Monday evening, Every Tuesday evening and every weekend, then that would give mom a greater edge as well since she has to transport them to school 3 - 4 days a week and you only 1 - 2 days a week...and on your 1-2 days its convenient for you to drop them off to mom on your way to work.

rjcirr72

Do understand one thing however dad...

You can and should file a motion for contempt. However, mom is also likely to file a countermotion to change the children's school. If mom can prove to the judge that the schools are equal, and/or the one she wants them to attend is better, plus prove that the transportation would be much more convenient for everyone (which you have already admitted that it is), and can prove that a true 50/50 schedule is more feasible with the children going to the school in mom's district (which you have also already admitted that it is) then its quite possible that the judge will rule that the children can attend school in mom's district.

Now, that does NOT mean that residential custody has to change, nor does it mean that mom can then relocate the children without your permission. It would just mean that the school would change.

Also if you are the one that has every other Monday evening, Every Tuesday evening and every weekend, then that would give mom a greater edge as well since she has to transport them to school 3 - 4 days a week and you only 1 - 2 days a week...and on your 1-2 days its convenient for you to drop them off to mom on your way to work.
The school district is worse than mine.
she moved out there & she refused any offers i made to have them more during the week so I could get them to school so she wouldn't have to drive.
She has refused that in the past & refused it again.
She just wants custody.
period.

LdiJ

The school district is worse than mine.
she moved out there & she refused any offers i made to have them more during the week so I could get them to school so she wouldn't have to drive.
She has refused that in the past & refused it again.
She just wants custody.
period.
You have EVERY weekend...you have all of the quality time. Of course she doesn't want to give up any of what she has. Offer to give up half of the weekends, and I bet she would be happy to give up some weekday time to you.

Your focus is completely upon maintaining residential designation...and you are assuming that her focus is completely on obtaining residential designation. It may be, but if both of you have that focus, instead of focusing on what actually works best, then neither of you are thinking straight.

She wants a change that is convenient for everyone and makes sense. You want to maintain a status quo that is inconvenient for everyone except you (mom and your parents are both inconvenienced). Even if your school system is better, mom would have a decent shot in court.

LdiJ

I still don't understand who has the kids when.
I believe its this way:

Week one: Sunday mom, Monday-Tuesday dad, Wednesday-Thurs mom, Fri-Sat dad
Week two: Sunday-Mon mom, Tuesday dad, Wed-Thurs mom, Fri-Sat dad.

Each with 7 nights out of 14.

rjcirr72

I believe its this way:

Week one: Sunday mom, Monday-Tuesday dad, Wednesday-Thurs mom, Fri-Sat dad
Week two: Sunday-Mon mom, Tuesday dad, Wed-Thurs mom, Fri-Sat dad.

Each with 7 nights out of 14.
sunday morning & afternoon -dad
every other monday evening - dad
tuesday morning & evening - dad
wed morning - dad
Wed day - mom
thursday - mom
friday evening - dad
Saturday morning to night - dad.

Granted my morning are taking the kids to school/my parents/ or to her in the summer.

Occasionally I watch the kids also on my off- nights when her & the boyfriend need a baby-sitter and when I have a holiday at work i'll take the kids the night before for the whole day.

She will rather leave the kids with her BF when she works overnights vs letting me take them.

I used to have the every monday evening for about 4 yrs until she lost her job & complained she didn't get to see the kids enough.
I wanted to remain amicable so I let her.
She has zero desire to trade weekdays for weekends.

LdiJ

sunday morning & afternoon -dad
every other monday evening - dad
tuesday morning & evening - dad
wed morning - dad
Wed day - mom
thursday - mom
friday evening - dad
Saturday morning to night - dad.

Granted my morning are taking the kids to school/my parents/ or to her in the summer.

Occasionally I watch the kids also on my off- nights when her & the boyfriend need a baby-sitter and when I have a holiday at work i'll take the kids the night before for the whole day.

She will rather leave the kids with her BF when she works overnights vs letting me take them.

I used to have the every monday evening for about 4 yrs until she lost her job & complained she didn't get to see the kids enough.
I wanted to remain amicable so I let her.
She has zero desire to trade weekdays for weekends.
Try it again and just tell us which home the children sleep in each night...because that is all that really matters.

I'mTheFather

He didn't say nights, but I thought his post was clear.

Sunday night --- Mom
Monday night -- -Alternating Mom/Dad
Tuesday night - --Dad
Wednesday night -Mom
Thursday night -- Mom
Friday night ----- Dad
Saturday night -- Dad

torimac

Unless you have Right of First Refusal in your orders, she is responsible for finding care for the children during her visitation time. If you had RFR, then she would be required to let you have the kids rather than a sitter.

LdiJ

He didn't say nights, but I thought his post was clear.

Sunday night --- Mom
Monday night -- -Alternating Mom/Dad
Tuesday night - --Dad
Wednesday night -Mom
Thursday night -- Mom
Friday night ----- Dad
Saturday night -- Dad
Which is exactly what I said. I was trying to figure out what he thought was different than what I said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">