• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife acusing step mom of abuse.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krissy10

What is the name of your state? RI

My husband's ex wife is accusing me of abusing their son. She says she contacted DCYF. She has used scare tactics before. So I don't know how true this is. :confused:

Should I seek legal council?

lisagr33

What kind of abuse is she saying that you are doing? It seems to me if she has contacted DCYF and depending when she did it, if it was bad enough they would have come out and talked to you, your spouse and the child and investigated it. Then depending on what they (DCYF) did they might proceed or they might not do anything. If this is false accusations, go to the following website and look up Rhode Islands statues on falsifying reports of child abuse: www.nccanch.acf.hhs.gov.

Last edited:

Zephyr

when did she say she contacted them? have they contacted you? have you contacted them to find out about any reports concerning you?
did you treat the child in a manner that could be considered abusive?

Krissy10

lisagr33 said:
What kind of abuse is she saying that you are doing? It seems to me if she has contacted DCYF and depending when she did it, if it was bad enough they would have come out and talked to you, your spouse and the child and investigated it. Then depending on what they (DCYF) did they might proceed or they might not do anything. If this is false accusations, go to the following website and look up Rhode Islands statues on falsifying reports of child abuse: www.nccanch.acf.hhs.gov.
She is referring to when I repremanded him for bothering his sister in the car.

Krissy10

WANNACRY said:
when did she say she contacted them? have they contacted you? have you contacted them to find out about any reports concerning you?
did you treat the child in a manner that could be considered abusive?
She supposedly contacted them yesterday 9/20. I did try to contact them last evening after my husband advised me (he is away on a business trip).

The dept. have not contacted me yet.

I did reprimand him in the car for teasing his sister after she asked him to stop numerous times. My husband had run in to the pizza place to get dinner.

Mbarr

Krissy10 said:
She supposedly contacted them yesterday 9/20. I did try to contact them last evening after my husband advised me (he is away on a business trip).

The dept. have not contacted me yet.

I did reprimand him in the car for teasing his sister after she asked him to stop numerous times. My husband had run in to the pizza place to get dinner.
Why don't you state exactly what your reprimand was. Did you tell him to stop? tell him he's grounded? yell at him? curse at him? spank him? strike him on the leg? strike him on the head? slap his face? Be specific about your words and actions.

Zephyr

reprimand--as in you told him to stop what he was doing?

if that is the case and she reported it should not go far, they might even tell her on the phone that it's not enough, if she even reported it.

beat me to it mbarr :D

Last edited:

lisagr33

Did you hit him? If you just got onto him for bothering his sister and didn't hit him or spank him, I don't see this as abuse.

Krissy10

WANNACRY said:
reprimand--as in you told him to stop what he was doing?

if that is the case and she reported it should not go far, they might even tell her on the phone that it's not enough, if she even reported it.

beat me to it mbarr :D
Yes. I did grab him by his shirt and told him to stop.

She is trying to stop visitation rights from my husband. She said that she put a motion into her lawyer. I personally think she is using scare tactics like she has before. And even if she does not, I don't see how she can prevent my husband and I from seeing the kids.

I don't know if I should go to a lawyer to see what my rights are. I guess if it was bad enough then DCF would have contacted me by now.

Krissy10

lisagr33 said:
Did you hit him? If you just got onto him for bothering his sister and didn't hit him or spank him, I don't see this as abuse.
I grabbed him by his shirt and told him to stop. I guess if it was bad enough DCF would have called me by now. I called them last evening after my husband told me about it and left a message for them. No one ever called me back.

I'm just tired of her using her scare tactics. She is now stating that she will not let them come to our house every other weekend. She said she put a motion in to the her lawyer in CT.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Krissy10 said:
I grabbed him by his shirt and told him to stop.
Dunno - I wouldn't do that to my own kid, let alone someone else's. It's unlikely that she'll be able to get Dad's visitation restricted, but it wouldn't surprise me if a judge orders that you not be left alone with the kids.

Krissy10

stealth2 said:
Dunno - I wouldn't do that to my own kid, let alone someone else's. It's unlikely that she'll be able to get Dad's visitation restricted, but it wouldn't surprise me if a judge orders that you not be left alone with the kids.

Actually I already told my husband not to leave them alone with me again, just to protect myself. Their mother is very vendictive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">