• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife gets $$, She won't let me see or talk to them.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WJA

What is the name of your state? IN
I was married in LA and the children were born there. That is where my ex lives with my children. I live in IN.

I just don't know where to start. My ex-wife filed for divorce and nothing in there was stated about me having visitation. I refused to sign the papers, but the divorce went through anyway without my signature. Now more than half of my wages are taken each week for child support and she will not let me talk to or see my children at all. I don't know where to start to get visitation rights for my 3 girls? With my ex getting over half of my wages each week, I cannot afford to live besides pay for a lawyer. She got to file for child support through the state for free, so where are the lawyers to help the other parent see their children for cheap or free. I feel this is so unfair that she gets my money (and alot of it) but yet refuses to let me talk to them on the phone or even see them. I drove to LA to see them from IN and she still said that I couldn't see them. HELP PLEASE! Also, lawyer wise -- can I use a lawyer for this issue in IN even though the marriage, divorce, and births of the children is LA? They still live in LA, as far as I know, too. I have been told they moved to Texas and California, which I feel is wrong that she took my kids out of the area without letting me know. Everytime I call her (which is a cell phone) she just says you can't talk to them or she will say they are not there. I just don't know where to start. Any advice would be great!

BL

What is the name of your state? IN
I was married in LA and the children were born there. That is where my ex lives with my children. I live in IN.

I just don't know where to start. My ex-wife filed for divorce and nothing in there was stated about me having visitation. I refused to sign the papers, but the divorce went through anyway without my signature. Now more than half of my wages are taken each week for child support and she will not let me talk to or see my children at all. I don't know where to start to get visitation rights for my 3 girls? With my ex getting over half of my wages each week, I cannot afford to live besides pay for a lawyer. She got to file for child support through the state for free, so where are the lawyers to help the other parent see their children for cheap or free. I feel this is so unfair that she gets my money (and alot of it) but yet refuses to let me talk to them on the phone or even see them. I drove to LA to see them from IN and she still said that I couldn't see them. HELP PLEASE! Also, lawyer wise -- can I use a lawyer for this issue in IN even though the marriage, divorce, and births of the children is LA? They still live in LA, as far as I know, too. I have been told they moved to Texas and California, which I feel is wrong that she took my kids out of the area without letting me know. Everytime I call her (which is a cell phone) she just says you can't talk to them or she will say they are not there. I just don't know where to start. Any advice would be great!
Well , did She get to file for divorce for free ?

I'm sure you had to be served .

WJA

I got the papers and got charged half for the divorce and I didn't even sign the papers because she wouldn't put in for me to have visitation with my children. I wanted a divorce, but I want to see my kids. I know there are no lawyers out there for free...I was just stating that she gets all this stuff done for her for free, takes over half of my money yet I still can't talk to my kids... This is not fair at all! I was a good dad, I have done nothing wrong. But there is definitely something wrong with the system. Again, any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Silverplum

I got the papers and got charged half for the divorce and I didn't even sign the papers because she wouldn't put in for me to have visitation with my children. I wanted a divorce, but I want to see my kids. I know there are no lawyers out there for free...I was just stating that she gets all this stuff done for her for free, takes over half of my money yet I still can't talk to my kids... This is not fair at all! I was a good dad, I have done nothing wrong. But there is definitely something wrong with the system. Again, any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dude, you didn't defend yourself. So she took advantage. That's not "something wrong with the system," it's something wrong with YOU. YOU dropped your own ball.

The only thing you can do is petition for visitation in LA. NOT IN. The case is in LA.

WJA

I would have loved to defend myself, but when she gets over half of my weekly wages that doens't leave me much to work with in defending myself.
I don't know much about any of the legal stuff. So, to file a petition for visitation do I need to get a lawyer for that or is there someone I contact in LA to get it started?

nextwife

She gets half your wages BECAUSE you didn't do anything to establish your correct wages, to challenge SS, to establish joint custody and to establish a parenting schedule. Instead you acted like a doormate and let her simply get everything she asked for by default. It was NOT fair to your kidfs not to fight to share them so they'd have you actively involved.

You also had every right to fight a move away of the kids from you, if they started out in IN. You could have filed in IN when she left and requested return to your jurisdiction, if that's where you'd been living.

ceara19

I would have loved to defend myself, but when she gets over half of my weekly wages that doens't leave me much to work with in defending myself.
I don't know much about any of the legal stuff. So, to file a petition for visitation do I need to get a lawyer for that or is there someone I contact in LA to get it started?
When you were served with the paperwork, you chose to just ignore it by refusing to sign. You had the opportunity to contest the matter. When you failed to show up in court, you opened the door for her to ask for, and receive, pretty much whatever her little heart desired because you were not there to say "No". Does the court order address visitation at all? If not, you can petition the court that issued the order for visitation. You can do this yourself or hire an attorney in LA. Start here:
http://www.lawhelp.org/LA/StateChannelResults.cfm/County/ /City/ /demoMode/= 1/Language/1/State/LA/TextOnly/N/ZipCode/ /LoggedIn/0/iSubTopicID/1/iProblemCodeID/1310100/sTopicImage/familyjuvenile.gif/iTopicID/619/bAllState/0/ichannelid/140
and here:
http://www.lawhelp.org/LA/StateChannelResults.cfm/County/ /City/ /demoMode/= 1/Language/1/State/LA/TextOnly/N/ZipCode/ /LoggedIn/0/iSubTopicID/1/iProblemCodeID/1380100/sTopicImage/familyjuvenile.gif/iTopicID/619/ichannelid/140/bAllState/0
You'll need to copy and paste the links. The first one covers visitation. Read the "Know Your Rights" section and then move on to the "Self Help" and Helpful Resources" sections. Same with the child support information. Then you will have a good idea where you need to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">