• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife left country but left child with me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmmaina

georgia.
My ex-wife left the country and left our daughter with me.(She has physical custody but we have joint legal custody and I would like to have this reversed.)It is over a year now. Does this constitute sufficient material change.
How long do child custody procedures last and can I make this petiton by myself?

Thanks,
James Maina.

Last edited:

M

Meursault

Does this constitute sufficient material change
Yes. And it also constitutes abandonment if she is not in the military.

How long do child custody procedures last and can I make this petiton by myself?
The first question is like asking how often you beat your wife? No one can answer this except the judge.

As for can you petition for yourself, the answer is yes BUT, do you want it done right or not? If right, then get an attorney.

VeronicaGia

And get that attorney and file NOW! She could come back at any time, take the child back, and there would be nothing you could do about it. File for sole legal and physical custody now, hopefully you will get it, and then file to modify child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">