+ Reply to Thread
    grkalash is offline Junior Member

Ex-wife living w/boyfriend and my daughter

What is the name of your state? NY
    I have joint custody of my 5 year old daughter. Just found out my ex-wife has her boyfriend living at her house. While my daughter is allegedly never alone with this man nor has he ever been improper with her, I do not feel comfortable with a male non-relative/non-husband living in such proximity to my daughter. I don't care that he is with my ex-wife in general; I do care that he is sleeping in the same house as my daughter. Do I have any legal recourse in this case? - eg., to go even so far as an order of protection on behalf of my daughter? Any insight or personal recommendations is most greatly appreciated.
    Zephyr is offline Senior Member
    does your custody order address cohabitation?
    casa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grkalash
    What is the name of your state? NY
    I have joint custody of my 5 year old daughter. Just found out my ex-wife has her boyfriend living at her house. While my daughter is allegedly never alone with this man nor has he ever been improper with her, I do not feel comfortable with a male non-relative/non-husband living in such proximity to my daughter. I don't care that he is with my ex-wife in general; I do care that he is sleeping in the same house as my daughter. Do I have any legal recourse in this case? - eg., to go even so far as an order of protection on behalf of my daughter? Any insight or personal recommendations is most greatly appreciated.
    As previous poster said- Unless you have a co-habitation clause in your custody order...you have no legal recourse. If you file to include a co-habitation rule, be prepared not to have overnight guests yourself. I'd check with an attorney because some judges frown on such orders unless both parents agree to it, since it borders on one parent trying to control the other parent's private life.
    titansfan Guest

Angry stay out of ex's personal life

unless you can prove this man is harming your daughter, its none of your business. you may not like the living arrangements, but its her house. dont meddle in her private life, im sure she doesnt meddle in yours.
    Last edited by titansfan; 06-13-2005 at 12:42 PM.
    justme317 is offline Junior Member

Wink

we are having the same problem except we heard the ex's boyfriend was into drugs, so we asked for information so we could have a criminal backgroud check ran on him the x wouldn't even give us his last name, but her family did. so we went through our state and paid to have him search, and he has a mile long record. Thank God for computers, you can find out anything. When your trying to protect the children thats what is important, as long as your not just trying to control the X I used to live in TN I 2 am a titan fan Good Luck
    oneofeach is offline Junior Member
    From what I understand, at least in TX, almost all judges will easily add cohabitation into court papers.... in many states, it is standard. I don't think it would be hard or even a battle to get it added in, but I am not familiar with the laws in your state.