• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife looking to move....Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fire228

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: FLORIDA

My Ex-wife notified me about 2 weeks ago that she has taken a job in another state and will be moving in the next few weeks and is taking our son with her. She will be about 3 hours from where we both live now. In our Divorce paperwork it states that any move over 50 miles must go back through the court system.

Well here is a little background info...

My Ex-wife and I have been divorced since Feb 2011. Our son lives at her house, but I have him around 75% of the time. Out of a normal 7 day week, I would say he spends about 4-5 days on average with me, yet I still pay her child support. When our son is not with me, he is with his grandparents due to my wifes work schedule. The point is, My Ex-wife spends little time with him. This has been the situation over the past 5+ years, yet I still pay her child support.

My Ex-wife has had 4 different jobs over the past 5+ years, Has moved 3 times over the past 5+ years and our son unfortunately has been in 4 different schools in the past 5 years. There is no Stability in her life and now she is moving yet again for a job and wanting to take our son, yet there is no benefit for him by moving, just more change that he doesn't need. Unfortunately she is only worried about her career and money and not really our son.

My current wife and I have been together for almost 5 years and she has a son 4 days older than my son and the same age, so they are like twin brothers and have grew up together, plus on top of that, all of my wife's family live within 5-10 mins of us and are a huge part of my sons life. My grandparents also live just 20 mins away and are big in his life, not to mention the friends he has made here.

The point is, The benefit for my Son is for him to have Stability in his life, Be around Family and Friends.

My Ex-wife has made no court dates to my knowledge for this situation and she thinks it will be as simple as me just signing a paper and agreeing to her move and taking our son.

Now the question is, What are my options to fight this move and what chance do I have of getting Full Custody of him??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My question involves a child custody case from the State of: FLORIDA

My Ex-wife notified me about 2 weeks ago that she has taken a job in another state and will be moving in the next few weeks and is taking our son with her. She will be about 3 hours from where we both live now. In our Divorce paperwork it states that any move over 50 miles must go back through the court system.

Well here is a little background info...

My Ex-wife and I have been divorced since Feb 2011. Our son lives at her house, but I have him around 75% of the time. Out of a normal 7 day week, I would say he spends about 4-5 days on average with me, yet I still pay her child support. When our son is not with me, he is with his grandparents due to my wifes work schedule. The point is, My Ex-wife spends little time with him. This has been the situation over the past 5+ years, yet I still pay her child support.
Okay.

My Ex-wife has had 4 different jobs over the past 5+ years, Has moved 3 times over the past 5+ years and our son unfortunately has been in 4 different schools in the past 5 years. There is no Stability in her life and now she is moving yet again for a job and wanting to take our son, yet there is no benefit for him by moving, just more change that he doesn't need. Unfortunately she is only worried about her career and money and not really our son.
Really? Maybe she is worried about paying all the bills and being able to provide for your mutual child. How do you know there is no benefit to him moving? Have you filed in court to stop the move?
My current wife and I have been together for almost 5 years and she has a son 4 days older than my son and the same age, so they are like twin brothers and have grew up together, plus on top of that, all of my wife's family live within 5-10 mins of us and are a huge part of my sons life. My grandparents also live just 20 mins away and are big in his life, not to mention the friends he has made here.
Your current wife and HER child matters not. The children are NOT brothers. They are step-relations. Your wife's family matters not either as they are NOT your son's family.

The point is, The benefit for my Son is for him to have Stability in his life, Be around Family and Friends.

My Ex-wife has made no court dates to my knowledge for this situation and she thinks it will be as simple as me just signing a paper and agreeing to her move and taking our son.

Now the question is, What are my options to fight this move and what chance do I have of getting Full Custody of him?
My point is you really need to narrow your argument. Your wife and her child matter not.
Why haven't you made a court date? It could be just as simple as you signing a paper and agreeing to her move. If you don't do that, then YOU file in court.
Why do you think you should get FULL custody of your mutual child? Nothing you have stated shows that you should.

CJane

I'm wondering if Dad has filed to prevent ANY of the relocations. I mean, if the "instability" is bad for the child, then it always has been and he should have attempted to get custody and provide stability before now.

I'm also curious what exactly Dad means when he says "he spends 4-5 days per week with me". Overnights? All day, but at Mom's at night? Hanging out when he's not in school but Mom is working? I mean, my step-kids have been at our house every day this summer, even though technically they're supposed to be with their Mom every other week. She drops them off at around 7 am and picks them up around 6pm on the weekdays. Hubby isn't working, and she is, and it just works for them. *shrug*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">